Professor in Metal Forming
7 days left
- Full Time
About the position
We have a vacancy for professor in Metal Forming at the department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, NTNU.
The position reports to the head of research group Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, which is one of six research groups at the department.
The Professorship is responsible for teaching and research in mechanical engineering with a primary focus on metal forming and properties of metal products, both from experimental and theoretical points of view. One of the main research challenges is establishing relationships between material, process and product properties in an extended lifecycle perspective.
The Professor is responsible for building a portfolio of research projects. S/he must generate national and international (EU) funding, supervise doctoral candidates and publish research in per-reviewed journals. The department searches outstanding candidates with high academic ambitions, productivity and quality. The successful candidate must document:
PhD degree within Mechanical Engineering, (Structural) Mechanics, Applied Physics, Materials Technology, or equivalent within relevant topic;
- academic achievements within the field of the professorship (metal forming);
- a proven track record in initiating and managing research and technology projects (EU and RCN) in collaboration with industry;
- experience from laboratory work and physical experiments;
- experience from national or international industry
- modeling experience (analytical and numerical)
- experience analyzing component behavior
- teaching experience within mechanical engineering (metal forming) from recognized educational institution(s);
- teaching and supervision capabilities;
- a network in academia and industry, particularly relevant to NTNU;
- relevant industrial experience within metal forming and technology development.
The applicant must document scientific expertise and a proven publication track record within the main discipline of the Professorship. His/her ability to supervise and initiate research is of particular importance. The applicant must document specific teaching capabilities within course topics such as “metal forming” and “additive manufacturing”. Some courses will be taught in collaboration with other research groups at the institute.
The position of Professor requires university education in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent. In addition, academic competence at least at doctoral level is required in the relevant subject area.
The applicant’s research must be documented and of high international quality, showing both breadth and depth. Production must reflect an independent research profile and show the ability to take up new research issues. Continuous research activity is a prerequisite for the granting of professorial competence. Strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals within his or her subject area. The greatest emphasis is placed on academic work during the past five years.
Emphasis will be placed on ability and experience in initiating and leading research and development work, and in obtaining external funding for research. Emphasis will also be placed on a documented commitment to teaching, development of teaching materials, and supervision of students at all levels.
Basic qualifications in the discipline of education are required. Anyone who is appointed without having formal basic qualifications in the discipline of education (formerly referred to as practical qualifications in teaching at university level) and who is unable to document equivalent qualifications is required to complete an approved course within two years of appointment. Uniped at NTNU offers qualifying courses.
Pedagogical skills and qualifications will be emphasized. The evaluation will be based on documented material related to teaching, forms of presentation for the academic works, experience in teaching, supervision of doctoral and master’s degree subjects as well as other types of pedagogical background. Applicants with teaching experience at university level will be preferred. Quality and breadth will be evaluated.
Employees who do not have formal qualifications in teaching at university level and who cannot provide documentation of equivalent qualifications must complete an approved pedagogical development programme within two years of appointment.
The person appointed must comply with the decisions about changes due to developments in the subject area, and the organizational changes that may result from decisions regarding the university's activities.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course in Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
- relation building (skills)
- balanced academic and practical pursuits
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, education, experience and personal suitability will be emphasized, as well as motivation for the position.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of professor (code 1013) is normally from NOK 731.000 to NOK 871.000 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund,
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The person appointed must live in a location enabling him/her to be present at and available to the institution.
About the application
The application and description of the academic works to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be taken into account in the assessment
- A list of your works with information on where they have been published
- Name and address of three potential references
- Research plan
- Description of teaching qualifications based on a list of factors ("Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU")
- Details of projects for which you have been project manager, with information about funding, duration and size
- Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Torgeir Welo, telephone +47 414 40 061, email email@example.com
Submit your application with your CV, diplomas and certificates via jobbnorge.no. Applicants invited for interview must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas.
Mark the application with reference number: IV-61/19.
Deadline for applications: 01.04.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
We educate graduates who can create new products, operate and maintain products, and manage projects. The Department has a variety of bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes. We conduct wide-ranging research in fields such as technology, energy, product quality and development, and productivity. The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Institutt for maskinteknikk og produksjon