Application Database Administrator (ADAPT)
Application Database Administrator (ADAPT)
Job Family: Information Technology Systems
Job Classification/Title: Database Administrator 2
Job Code: 4762
Job Grade: K
Department: Business Affairs, University IT
Are you an experienced Application Database Administrator? Then, you may want to join Stanford's Enterprise Technology team to support the implementation and maintenance of Alumni and Development Applications Platform Transition (ADAPT) program systems and applications. In this position, you will provide technical expertise in the setup, configuration, administration, and maintenance of relational database management systems and associated applications that support mission-critical resources for Stanford’s Office of Development and Alumni Association. You will monitor and tune databases to optimal performance and ensures proper security, integrity, and recovery of data. You will also be responsible for upgrades and patches to the infrastructure components of the ADAPT ecosystem. This will include Oracle-based and legacy technologies such as database servers, application servers as well as related applications.
- Install, configure, and support relational database management systems (RDBMS) and related software to resolve highly complex and/or unusual issues without precedent and/or structure. Work on databases using more advanced database administration concepts.
- Design, develop, and maintain highly available databases.
- Build, configure, secure and improve infrastructure server environments for ADAPT applications and systems.
- Take responsibility for database design and performance optimization, backup and recovery strategies and implementation, as well as monitoring the overall health of the database environment.
- Execute complete database solutions from evaluation to implementation.
- Provide ongoing system administration and technical infrastructure support.
- Review the physical and logical design of databases for optimal database structures, performance tuning, security, and database backup/recovery. Plan and implement pro-active and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting, and capacity planning.
- Evaluate and test marketplace tools and utilities, including system integration and automation, which improve server functionality and promote the development of RDBMS applications.
- Develop and maintain efficient and appropriate connectivity solutions between various campus databases to ensure necessary data is available as needed.
- Craft data flow and data lifecycle documentation.
- Develop and enforce database standards and/or new development protocols.
- Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- You're an expert in support requirements of large database applications/systems including performance analysis and tuning of high volume, transaction systems.
- You have knowledge of hierarchical database systems.
- Extensive knowledge of systems platform.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the design and implementation of complex database architecture.
- Extensive experience in programming environments.
- You have an ability to develop a vision for future computing needs and to develop appropriate plans to meet these needs.
- You can work independently or as a team member.
- Ability to maintain knowledge of new and current technology and trends.
- You're able to collaborate with vendors and system service providers, provide administration for system solutions, and act as a liaison.
- You have expertise with database security protocol.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in monitoring, tuning, and administrating Oracle 11g/12c/18c and SQL Server 2012/2014/2016/2019 databases
- Experience installing, configuring, and administering Oracle ASM and Oracle Dataguard.
- Experience with, Oracle SQL*NET, SQL*Loader, SQL Plus and Import/Export utilities in a Windows server or Linux environment.
- Experience in SQL, DDL, DCL, and DML programming.
- Experience with Data integration and replication tools such as Oracle Golden Gate, Sesame Relational Junction desired.
- Experience with Middleware technologies, Java Application Servers such as JBoss and/or Fusion Middleware, Apache, Tomcat desired.
- Experience with Oracle Enterprise Manager desired.
- Experience with Enterprise scheduling tools and batch automation desired.
- Experience PowerShell, Python and/or Shell Scripting desired
- Experience with cloud technologies such as Salesforce and with data synchronization patterns desired.
- Knowledge of database encryption, auditing and logging frameworks desired.
- Knowledge of data marts and data warehousing functionality desired.
- Knowledge of quality assurance and testing practices desired.
- Knowledge of agile and waterfall project management methodologies desired.
- Knowledge of team collaboration tools such as Confluence, Basecamp, or Sharepoint desired.
- Knowledge and understanding of University Advancement operations, administration and community desired.
Certifications and Licenses
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) and/or MCTS/MCITP certification, a plus
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand,
- Lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- May work extended hours and on weekends.
- Available for on-call work.
Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
Promote Culture of Safety:
Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to stay in sync with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in Stanford's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Why Stanford is for You:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
Freedom to grow.
We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
A caring culture.
We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
A healthier you.
Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
Discovery and fun.Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more.
Redwood City. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, scheduled to open in 2019, will be the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff, including University IT, whose jobs are important to supporting the University’s mission. The campus will offer amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.
We are not able to provide relocation or sponsorship for this position.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this role by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. Please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.