Software Developer, Cloud/GCP
The Stanford School of Medicine is looking for a Software Developer, Cloud/GCP to join its Application Services team in the Office of Information Resources & Technology (IRT). Stanford University School of Medicine is Stanford’s largest academic school. The Office of Information Resources and Technology (IRT) supports the School of Medicine’s core missions; health care, research and education.
To support the research area of our mission, Application Services is looking for a talented software developer who will build secure cloud services and manage cloud infrastructure in support of two research projects. The first project is a collaboration with Apple where Apple Watch data is used to identify irregular heart rhythms. The second project is to build a centralized solution with end-user tools for recruiting study participants. The solutions you create will be used by researchers to enable the success and advancement of Stanford Medicine.
The software developer should have experience with and is comfortable working in an Agile environment.
- Conceptualize design, implement, and develop solutions for complex system/programs independently.
- Work with a variety of users to gain information, and develop intra-system tradeoffs between different users, as necessary; interact with a diverse client base and outside vendor contacts.
- Document system builds and application configurations; maintain and update documentation as needed.
- Provide technical analysis, design, development, conversion, and implementation work.
- Work as a project leader, as needed, for projects of moderate complexity.
- Serve as a technical resource for applications.
- Compare, evaluate, and implement new features and technologies, and integrate them into the computing environment.
- Follow team software development methodology.
- Mentor other software developers as needed.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Experience in an Agile environment as well as an appreciation for this methodology.
- Demonstrated software engineering skills to design and develop quality solutions.
- Experiencing developing, evolving and supporting multiple projects/applications.
- Ability to synthesize user, technical and design requirements into highly useable applications.
- Ability and desire to quickly learn and apply new technologies.
- Demonstrated understanding of object-oriented design.
- Experience with and an understanding of the importance of testing and reusability.
- Commitment to safeguarding sensitive data and privacy protection.
- Ability to work independently as well as contribute when working in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate project status in writing and verbally to technical and nontechnical stakeholders.
- Java, Spring Framework and Python.
- Google Cloud Platform, GCP offerings such as; Kubernetes, CloudSQL, Compute Engine, Cloud Storage, AppEngine and BigQuery.
- SQL and relational databases such as PostgreSQL and Oracle
- Create secure Aps and server-side application code
- GitHub, Jira Docker, IntelliJ/Eclipse within and Agile development process.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Expertise in designing, developing, testing, and deploying applications.
- Proficiency with application design and data modeling.
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for highly technical applications.
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical clients.
- Ability to lead activities on structured team development projects.
- Ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
- Knowledge of application domain.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand.
- Rarely use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
May work extended hours, evening and weekends.
This position currently works in our Porter Drive location. We anticipate that this position will move to the new Stanford Redwood City campus in June 2019.
Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
Promote Culture of Safety:
Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.