Assistant Chaplain for Muslim Life
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: 12 hrs/week
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001407-Campus Ministries
Personnel area: Homewood Student Affairs
As a member of the Campus Ministries for Religious and Spiritual Life staff and reporting to the Chaplain, this position works with the Muslim community at Johns Hopkins with the primary focus being to serve our students. This position will provide leadership, mentoring, planning and support to a diverse community consisting of members from a variety of regional and cultural backgrounds, branches of Muslim thought and practice, legal tradition and levels of religious observance. This is a casual position, 12 hours a week that may require evening and weekend hours.
Please note: this position is not benefits eligible
- Foster the growth and sustenance of the JHU Muslim Association.
- Lead and/or Coordinate the successful execution of Jumu’a prayers every Friday.
- Advise and support the JHU Muslim Association (JHUMA), attend meetings, events and programs. Assist with planning events, conflict resolution and adherence to university policies and guidelines.
- Lead and/or Coordinate regular weekly devotional Islamic study circles (halaqa) for students addressing both devotional practices and key issues for young Muslims.
- Provide spiritual support, care, guidance and counsel to students as needed.
- Participate in interfaith and multi-faith programs, events and projects.
- Coordinate and support special services, including, but not limited to Ramadan observances, prayer evenings or circles for special holy days. Organize and support ‘Eid activities. Work with the JHUMA to organize daily Ramadan iftars. Oversee the upkeep of the musallah.
- Write reports as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline required.
- Master’s Degree in divinity, theology, religious studies or a related field preferred.
A minimum of three years’ experience working with students in an academic setting and leading educational programs is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to bring a high level of imagination and passion to the position.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated reliability and enthusiasm for ministry work.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others on deadline and under pressure, take initiative, well developed problem solving skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with great discretion.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information