Phd Candidate, User Oriented BIM, Digitalizing Building Environment
About the position
At the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, https://www.ntnu.no/ibm, there is a PhD fellowship available. The candidate will be a member of the research group for project management, and the theme is holistic digitization of the building, construction and real estate industry. The research project is designed in collaboration with Bærum municipality. The project focuses on "User oriented BIM" digitization within the built environment, and jointly with fellows in "Smart and Sustainable Property Management", "Interactive Urban Management" and "Smart Travel Habitats (RVU)". The position includes ongoing and future real estate projects in Bærum municipality, such as the. "Municipal Farm Project". Digitization incorporates software, processes and expertise for all phases in the built environment. The project ambition is to combine theory and practice and contribute to new and innovative solutions for real use.
There is an increasing focus on digitization. There is a need for an increased comprehensive understanding and practices that reflects on the interconnections between technology, process and human interaction. This requires an interdisciplinary approach using research methods from information science, organizational structures and the construction industry.
The position will involve close collaboration with employees and residents of the Bærum municipality, as well as developers and suppliers of digital solutions. Cooperation with international research environments are included in the PhD program. The SimSalaBIM laboratory facilities at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering will be used to explore digital solutions, in addition to close collaboration with software developers.
The position reports to Professor Eilif Hjelseth
- Literature study and review
- Quantitative studies of users' needs and experiences with digital solutions / BIM
- Idntification and assessment of quantitative and qualitative effects that different users have, or expected to gain (gain realization) using digital solutions / BIM
- Exploration and testing of digital solutions / BIM
- Specification and validation of system requirements for digital solutions / BIM
- Reporting, user information and scientific publishing
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in scientific researching or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
- Good knowledge within use and development of building information models (BIM)
- Good knowledge within information modeling (UML and BPMN) for holistic information flow and interoperability
- Good knowledge of the specification and validation of system requirements for digital solutions
- Good knowledge of digital solutions for smart and sustainable facility management
- Good knowledge of the Planning and Building Act, and digitization of management solutions related to municipal planning and Construction procedures
- Good understanding of the connection between technology, processes and human interaction
- Good knowledge of the Norwegian AEC/FM industry in general
- It is positive if you have knowledge of municipal and / or public administration
- Good oral and written presentation ability in both Norwegian and English, as the position requires close collaboration with employees and residents of Bærum municipality, in addition to scientific research communities and publication
- Team Worker
- Ability to think independently
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 449 400 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Engineering Science.
As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Professor Eilif Hjelseth email email@example.com
About the application:
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Please refer to the application number IV-101/19 when applying.
Application deadline: 21.03.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
We conduct research and teaching in civil and transportation engineering, technical planning, structural engineering, water and wastewater engineering and hydraulic engineering. Graduates from our programmes become employees – in both the public and private sectors – with a sustainability mindset combined with competitive knowledge and skills. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Institutt for bygg- og miljøteknikk