Research Associate/Research Data Manager, Epidemiology
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
The HaSET (“happiness” in Amharic”) Global Maternal and Child Health Research Program at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health and Boston Children’s Hospital invites applications for a Data Manager position. Our program works closely with partners in Ethiopia and Ethiopia’s Federal Ministry of Health to generate evidence to improve maternal and child health programs and policies. In addition, we provide technical capacity building to colleagues in program implementation, data analysis and use of evidence through direct collaborative work and workshops.
The Research Data Manager will lead and direct all data management and analysis for ongoing studies, in catchment populations over 1,000,000 people, across Ethiopia. He/she will be charged with full funnel data management, from collection to reporting, and creating data/analysis driven decision-making models for the studies. He/she will provide the PI with counsel regarding development of data management protocols and procedures. The Research Data Manager will serve as a member of leadership, providing the PI, and other influential stakeholders with subject matter expertise and executing deliverable. In addition, he/she will collaborate and build mechanisms to collect, manage, audit, and report data with a team of investigators, software developers, biostatisticians, and program staff. This position will report directly to Dr. Grace Chan and have one direct report.
Overview of core duties:
- Development, implement, and manage large databases and data use
- Oversee, data quality, monitoring and evaluation
- Perform statistical analysis and develop data driven management strategies
- Report on clinical, research, and laboratory data
- Train and supervise data team (Boston and in-country) on data cleaning, reporting, and statistical analysis
- Create a strategic plan for data management across the HaSET organization
Database Development & Data Quality Protocols
- Lead all data management of three on-going studies
- Manage the development, support mechanisms, and data testing systems (i.e. software applications, large databases and web-based systems)
- Analyze, design, and implement solutions to resolve queries in the field or laboratories
- Create a strategic plan to continuously improve data quality
- Data Maintenance & Processes
- Develop data quality and data use protocols
- Manage data cleaning, data storage, documentation of data processes, and prepare data for use
- Develop analyses plans, generate analysis files and conduct statistical analyses
- Report with regular data reviews, quality control checks, and interim and final analysis
- Collaborate with partners to establish priorities and strategies on data sharing policies
Training & Supervising Data Team
- Manage one full time employee in Boston
- Lead all trainings and educational support workshops on data management and quality to site staff with occasional travel to international sites
- Lead weekly data calls with in-country teams
- Contribute to scientific portions of manuscripts, presentations, grants, and reports including sample size calculations, methods and results sections
- Prepare all tables and graphs of study results
- Master’s Degree required
- 3+ years of data management and analytic methods experience
- Experience with STATA and R programs required
- Master’s Degree in Epidemiology, Statistics, or other closely related field strongly preferred.
- Experience working in international settings preferred.
- Experience in supervisory/ leadership role in research studies preferred.
- Experience with study designs, sampling methods, and statistical methods (including longitudinal data analysis, multi-level modeling, survival analysis, and casual inference) preferred.
- Experience working with a range of data management (qualitative and quantitative) and statistical software preferred
- Experience with RedCAP and Open Data Kit preferred.
- Excellent communication, verbal, writing, and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently, under supervision, and as a part of a team with collaborators, stakeholders, and research staff.
- Excellent analytical, computer, organizational, and problem solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent time management skills
- Goal and detail-oriented work style
- Meticulous consistent follow through on projects are all preferred
Please Note: Short-listed candidates will be required to submit two writing samples.
Dr. Grace Chan
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.