Research Associate in Physics
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Physics operates within the UNSW’s Faculty of Science. We have a strong teaching and research culture and our staff is conducting research in astrophysics, physics, theoretical physics, acoustics, and biophysics. Currently the School has some 30 permanent academic staff, approximately 50 research staff and 15 support staff.
About the role
- $75K-$100K plus 17% superannuation and leave loading
- Fixed Term March 2019 – Dec 2020
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The role of Research Associate will perform independent research on theoretical condensed matter physics as part of the UNSW node of the newly established ARC Centre of Excellence for Future Low-Energy Electronics Technologies. The focus of the work will be quantum transport in topological materials as part of the effort to achieve room-temperature dissipationless transport. The role of Research Associate will interact closely with the theoretical and experimental researchers in the centre.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A PhD in Physics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of solid state physics, quantum transport theory, many-body physics, and topological phenomena.
- Demonstrated experience in data analysis and scientific communication.
- Demonstrated strong numerical skills.
- Strong publication record in high quality journals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a research team and to contribute to the broader intellectual environment of the School of Physics.
- Demonstrated experience in presenting research outcomes to audiences at seminars and international forums.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed. References will be requested at a later stage.
Applications close: March 15th, 2019
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).