Director of Animal Services
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Senior Appointment within the Division of Research
- 5 Years Fixed Term
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
An exciting opportunity exists within the Division of Research at UNSW for a Director level candidate to set up the new University Animal Services structure which will support research in medicine, science and biomedical engineering.
The successful candidate will have extensive relevant animal research experience. They will also have considerable knowledge and experience working with State and National legislation and guidelines governing animal research.
This role also requires strong stakeholder and people management skills which will enable them to coordinate significant change within the University.
About the role
The Director will set up the new University Animal Services structure and will provide significant input into the strategic direction of animal research services, facilities and their operations at UNSW, in an environment driven by the ‘3Rs’ principles and best practice in animal ethics and welfare. This includes responsibility for the major research facilities managed by the Biological Resources Centre and the development of new operational structures to ensure oversight of all animal facilities reporting to UNSWs Animal Care and Ethics Committees (ACECs).
The Director will represent UNSW at the National and International level and ensure that UNSW’s views are represented and heard in the development of relevant legislation, policy, guidelines and processes.
About the successful applicant
We are seeking an individual who has a solid background in animal research combined with experience in either establishing or managing an animal research facility. Ideally, you are a leader in the field, with a strong awareness of trends and issues affecting animal research. The candidate will also have significant people, operational and organisational management experience in a research facility (or equivalent) environment and a demonstrated ability to deliver major projects.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Relevant post-graduate qualification (PhD or equivalent) with extensive relevant experience in animal research and research operations;
- A strong client focus and commitment to work with a wide range of research stakeholders to develop a culture of excellence in animal-based research and to deliver required technologies and services.
- Ability to exercise judgement and deal effectively with compliance issues related to animal research.
- Demonstrated commitment to best practice in animal research, welfare and ethics and to implementing initiatives to further develop these attributes.
- Thorough understanding of State, National and International legislation and guidelines that pertain to animal research including ethical and regulatory compliance requirements, animal supply and import/export, quarantine and physical containment. Demonstrable experience with AAALAC-, GLP-, and ISO 9001 accreditation of animal research laboratories/facilities is highly desirable.
- Highly developed communication skills, as well as demonstrated ability to consult, negotiate, and influence. This includes an ability to exercise initiative, diplomacy, tact and discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential matters.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Simone Donovan, Talent Acquisition Lead
T: (61 2) 9385 8911
Applications close: Wednesday, 13th March 2019 at 11:30 pm
Find out more about working at UNSW at http://research.unsw.edu.au/
UNSW is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity
Please disable "Pop-up Blockers" to view Position Description Document