Senior Information Technology Support Specialist
Division/School IT Services
Contract type Open Ended
Working pattern Full time
Salary £43,267 - £48,677 per annum
Closing date for applications 25-Feb-2019
The University of Bristol – IT Services division is seeking an enthusiastic Senior IT Support Specialist to lead senior technical work within one of its Faculty IT Support (FITS) Teams.
The FITS Teams have a broad range of staff and a wide spread of work: from those undertaking reactive resolution of 1st and 2nd line fixes/requests, to those working on local innovation and deep technical solutions, e.g. implementing and managing services.
The requirements for the technical work undertaken by the Senior IT Support Specialist reflect this variation. They will have extensive experience of a variety of platforms and their interoperability, including (but not limited to):
- Windows, Linux and macOS Operating Systems.
- Hardware in different configurations, e.g. end-user workstations, virtual and physical servers, clustered research environments, single-purpose devices (Raspberry Pi, etc).
- Software packaging/preparing applications for silent install/uninstall.
- Configuration management technologies, such as SCCM, Munki, Puppet and/or Group Policy.
- Experience of the following would be extremely advantageous:
- Scripting languages, such as PowerShell, Python or Bash.
- Cloud technologies, such as Azure, Office 365 or AWS.
- Mobile Device Management technologies, such as Intune or other OMA/MDM solutions.
- Services that support end-user computing, such as DFS, Active Directory, VDI or Remote Desktop Services.
Working closely with the FITS Team Manager, the Senior IT Support Specialist will help to lead and set example of best practice on:
- The management of senior technical work/local projects undertaken by the team.
- Server management and elements of desktop fleet configuration.
- ITIL concepts, particularly Change Management.
- Communication with team members, colleagues elsewhere within IT Services and external organisations.
- Producing technical service/solution documentation.
- Providing 3rd line support for escalated incidents/issues reported to IT Services
- 1st, and 2nd line fixes/requests, when required.
The Senior IT Support Specialist will act as a point of escalation for the technical work within the team and should be an approachable person with a focus on coaching/mentoring. In addition, they will be required to:
- Deputise for the Team Manager as required, possibly including some line management.
- Project manage and implement local projects as part of the IT new services process.
- Act as a Technical Service Manager for one or more services.
- Be an advocate for user needs, whilst being prepared to constructively challenge wants expressed as needs.
- Provide positive promotion of the work of IT Services and explain plans and strategy to senior managers such as Heads of Schools or user committees.
- Maintain a culture of continuous improvement to enhance service delivery within the team.
Informal enquiries contact - Geoff Rickard - Geoff.Rickard@bristol.ac.uk
The closing date for applications is 11.59pm on Monday 25th February 2019.
We appreciate and value difference, seeking to attract, develop and retain a diverse mix of talented people that will contribute to the overall success of Bristol and help maintain our position as one of the world’s leading universities.