Job Code: 4160
Job Grade: G
FTE: 100%, Non-exempt
Department of Bioengineering, School of Engineering and School of Medicine
The School of Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
Department of Bioengineering
Stanford Bioengineering is a dynamic and rapidly growing department within the Stanford Schools of Engineering and Medicine. For more than a decade, the Department of Bioengineering has sought to advance bioengineering as a fundamental engineering discipline grounded in basic sciences, powered by unique engineering concepts and principles, capable of realizing many diverse applications. Our community ranges broadly from world class faculty and students, to esteemed alumni and dynamic administrators, our community includes some of the world's most successful leaders in bioengineering technology and business.
The Department of Bioengineering seeks an Executive Assistant to provide administrative and operational support and leadership for our rapidly growing department. Supporting our Chair and department initiatives, you will be essential to fulfilling our department’s mission. You will work in a dynamic environment that interfaces with many other groups both within and outside of the department and Stanford. You will have the opportunity to drive complex projects and initiatives, serve as a liaison between the Chair’s Office, central administration, and external institutions, vendors, and collaborators. We are looking for a creative, motivated individual to accomplish tasks independently, who is invested in maintaining a positive and productive work culture. Are you personable, proactive, and exude a high-level of customer service? Then bring your talent and passion to join us in seeking solutions to important global problems and educating the next generation of leaders who will make the world a better place!
Your responsibilities include:
- Representing the Department of Bioengineering and the Chair’s Office by being the first point of contact for guests, collaborators, external entities and inquiries.
- Plan and schedule complex calendar(s) with limited or no consultation, resolve calendaring conflicts. Negotiate and manage the needs of individuals or groups requesting time with the Chair, independently committing her time. May occasionally represent the supervisor by attending meetings in her absence and/or acquiring appropriate representation on her behalf; speaking for the Chair and/or DFA.
- Act on behalf of the Chair and/or DFA in regards to establishing priorities and identifying and resolving problems that are administrative in nature. Use independent judgment to keep Chair and/or DFA informed of all matters that require her attention.
- Serve as the liaison to various internal and external constituencies, including screening correspondence and telephone calls; keep the Chair and/or DFA informed of all matters requiring her attention.
- Independently prioritize, plan, coordinate and/or oversee logistics and conferences with individuals and entities internal and external to the university, including executive and senior level staff, donors and government officials.
- Compose correspondence; develop, review and edit presentations and documentation; independently research and analyze associated issues and/or compile materials needed for presentation and/or decision making purposes.
- Manage complex business travel in compliance with unit, university, and sponsor policies.
- Prepare reports and analyses, identify adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously. Anticipate and track initial dates, events and associated action items; follow up with appropriate parties on behalf of supervisor to ensure deadlines are met.
- May also supervise staff.
- Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma and five years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated high-level administrative experience which includes advanced computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects.
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties with a high level of professionalism, flexibility, discretion, judgment, diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job
Why Stanford is for You
- Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ride sharing incentives, discounts and more!