Head of Technical Services
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Head of Technical Services
Grade 8 starting salary £42,036 pa
Keele University is recognised for its innovative approach to higher education, delivering first rate teaching and research with a strong community spirit and excellent student experience. With a turnover in excess of £150 million, 10,000 students and a total staff of approximately 2,000, the University has recently been awarded a Gold Award in the TEF and is No.1 in England for student satisfaction in the 2018 National Student Survey for broad based universities.
The Faculty of Natural Sciences has seen significant growth in student numbers in recent years through increasing focus on STEM subjects and a thriving foundation year offering. In response the University is investing in the Faculty with a £45m programme to develop new state-of-the-art science laboratories. The first phase of the investment is a £11m development of the Life Sciences laboratories delivered in September 2017. The second phase will commission a £33m Central Sciences Laboratories (CSL) Building consisting of four floors of laboratories including wet and dry chemistry labs, IT suites and analytical laboratories. This facility will serve the majority of the faculty’s science disciplines including physics, chemistry, forensics science, geography, geology, environmental sciences, mathematics and computer science. The facility will be transformative in how Keele supports practical science: developing pedagogies, supporting cross disciplinary working, driving outreach provision and enhancing the student experience.
The Faculty is planning to exploit the CSL facility to modernise and professionalise its approach to technical services. The University has recently signed up to the Technicians Commitment and is embarking on a programme to ensure that the technical capability across all areas is fit for purpose and that Keele is seen as an employer of choice for technical staff. This means increased development and career opportunities based on core technical skills.
As part of this investment the Faculty is looking to recruit a Head of Technical Services. You will be tasked with two key responsibilities, to:
- Commission and launch the new Central Science Laboratories and be responsible for the overall operation of the new facility, specifically managing the technical resource based in the CSL;
- Develop the faculty’s technical capability across its five schools, providing strategic leadership to modernise and professionalise the technical service offering, ensuring that the faculty meets our Technicians Commitment responsibilities.
The role is both an exciting and challenging one. It provides the opportunity to establish effective ways of working for the new flagship Central Science Laboratories. The role holder will also develop our existing technical services into a sustainable capability, so that it can be a strategic partner to our academic community in delivering its transformative teaching and research agenda. The role demands both a strong technical expertise and well developed process, change and leadership skills to deliver change through an established resource base.
Keele University values equality and diversity across our workforce and to ensuring our staff community is reflective of the diversity of our student population. In support of these commitments the University welcomes applications from individuals of Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds for all roles.
Please note this appointment is subject to medical clearance by the University’s Occupational Health provider.
For full post details and to apply, please visit: www.keele.ac.uk/vacancies
Keele University employees wishing to apply should login to Employee Self Service and click on the 'View current vacancies' link.
Closing date for applications: 10 March 2019.
Post Ref: KU00001058
Promoting Equality, Valuing Diversity.
More searches like this
- £40,001 - £50,000 Permanent Biological Sciences Heads of Department jobs in Newcastle-under-Lyme
- £40,001 - £50,000 Permanent Physical Sciences Heads of Department jobs in Newcastle-under-Lyme
- £40,001 - £50,000 Permanent Life sciences Heads of Department jobs in Newcastle-under-Lyme
- £40,001 - £50,000 Permanent Physics & Astronomy Heads of Department jobs in Newcastle-under-Lyme
- £40,001 - £50,000 Permanent Chemistry Heads of Department jobs in Newcastle-under-Lyme