Research Technician, Laboratory Animal Resources
4 days left
- Full Time
Performs a variety of technical duties involved in conducting standardized tests, experiments and determinations in support of clinical and research oriented activities in the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at Duke University.
- Performs a variety of technical duties related to diagnostic testing of animals in a laboratory environment including clinical pathology, hematology, parasitology,microbiology, molecular diagnostics, necropsies and histopathology. Testing includes, but is not limited to, conducting physical examinations of animals, collecting samples, performing chemical and biological tests,conducting experiments, and making determinations to obtain data in support of research.
- Compiles and documents procedures and results and communicates results to Investigatory and Veterinary staff in a professional manner.
- Performs rodent and other small animal necropsies, assists with large animal necropsies, and prepares tissues for histopathology.
- Sets up and operates various diagnostic equipment/ instrumentation (i.e., CBCanalyzer, Chem-analyzer, PCR), Serology (IFA, ELISA, Luminex, Western Blot Assay) with minimal direction for the specific test.
- Operates various electronic devices in the collection, tabulation and calculation of data.
- Obtains, prepares, mounts, and stains specimens, blood and other biologic substances for microscopic examinations.
- Safely prepares culture media, chemicals, solutions and biologic reagents related to laboratory procedures.
- Performs duties under the Rodent Sentinel Program departmental SOP such as euthanasia,venipuncture, sample collection, preparation and analysis, and necropsy.
- Performs duties under the Microbiological Monitoring Program and Monitoring Water Quality departmental SOP such as scheduling/coordinating sample collection with husbandry staff and analyzing bacterial levels of animal rooms, equipment, and enrichment devices and water and data management.
- Follows all other relevant departmental SOPs and IACUC protocols.
- Assists in the development of new veterinary diagnostic procedures and techniques.
- Maintains inventory of materials, supplies and equipment for performance of duties; cleans and maintains standard laboratory area and equipment.
- As directed by supervisor, confers with principal investigators and their laboratory staff to plan diagnostic testing needed for experimental schedules, discusses animal health concerns and sample collection requirements, and assists in technical training of research staff and some procedures/protocols.
- As directed by supervisor, assists in billing of lab services, and specialized projects as assigned.
- Ensures students, research technicians, and Principal Investigators adhere to all federal, state and university regulations and policies regarding the use of animals in research. Helps to train new personnel within the designated areas of VDL, when needed.
- Maintains diagnostic and medical records, regulatory paperwork, surgical records, etc. in compliance with departmental SOPs and regulatory agencies that oversee laboratory animal research.
- Cross-train within functional areas of the veterinary services.
- Performs on-call requirements as assigned which include weekend and holiday rotations.
- Performs other duties within veterinary services as required by Head of Veterinary Technical Services or designee.
DLAR Basic Skills
- Clinical observations & evaluations of animal health status
- Assist in surgery
- Anesthetize, catheterize, and intubate a variety of animals
- Proficient at basic rodent technical skills (IP, SQ, IV injections, blood collection, etc.)
- Administer daily treatments and medications
- Basic animal restraint techniques
- Basic diagnostic lab techniques
- Basic radiograph techniques
- Participate in enrichment plan
- Knowledgeable with various diagnostic equipment: Instrumentation (i.e., CBC analyzer, Chem-analyzer, PCR), Serology (IFA, ELISA, Luminex, Western Blot Assay)
- Microbiology (i.e., BacterialCulture & ID)
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Family Level 08
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other science related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE