Health and Safety Technical Engineer
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you looking for a multi-faceted job in a stimulating working environment? Do you enjoy the mix of being out in the field offset with time in the office? Contribute your skills and expertise in health and safety to the world's largest particle physics laboratory. CERN, Take part!
As a Health and Safety Technical Engineer you will join:
- The Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE) which supports the Organization in the implementation and enforcement of its safety policy, monitors the implementation and accomplishment of safety objectives aimed at a continuous improvement of safe working and operating conditions as well as environmental protection and grants safety clearance on behalf of the Director-General for special equipment, installations, experiments and projects with major safety implications.
- The Occupational Health and Safety Group (OHS) which offers safety services such as engineering expertise or independent control adapted to the needs of the departments with the aim of enhancing prevention and ensuring that all safety aspects are integrated from the earliest stage of any project and that best safety practices are shared, harmonized and disseminated.
As Health and Safety Technical engineer in the Prevention & Safety Engineering Service Section, you will participate in the “Safety for Works and Services” activity.
You will mainly but not exclusively:
- Carry out diagnostics before work concerning pollutants in buildings and equipment, mainly in the field of asbestos risk.
- Ensure the writing of the reports and any technical assistance with these reports.
- Supervise the work of consultants carrying out the diagnostic missions in view of establishing and updating databases related to pollutants in buildings.
- Assist the departments in carrying out the treatment of pollutants in buildings, mainly asbestos removal operations.
- Perform the validation visits of the aforementioned fields.
- Deal with any complaints about aforementioned fields.
- Develop and conduct awareness and training sessions.
- Provide expert support during audits, risk assessments, technical reviews, project/ experiment in safety support etc.
- Stay up to date with the regulatory and technical framework and anticipate any implications for CERN.
- Perform assistance missions in the field of safety for works and services, in particular by providing safety support to joint inspection visits and preparatory visits.
- Evaluate and validate the relevance of submitted documents such as operating procedures, risk assessments, withdrawal plans, prevention plans etc.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Health and Safety Engineering, or a related field.
Diploma/certification in Works and Services Safety and pollutants in buildings would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in general occupational health and safety and its related disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in asbestos risk activity.
- Demonstrated experience in Safety for Works and Services in an industrial area.
- Good knowledge of French, Swiss and European regulations and standards concerning Safety for Works and Services.
- Occupational safety and risk management: mainly Works and Services Safety.
- Building diagnostics of pollutants.
- Drafting and writing of official documents.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Working in teams: sharing and letting others participate in own work/project; encouraging team development building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
- French: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up reports, and to make oral presentations.
- English: ability to understand and speak English in professional contexts would be an advantage. Willingness to acquire it rapidly is required.
Note: host states regulations require that all reports are written in French language.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 17.03.2019
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: HSE-OHS-SV-2019-2-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Health Safety and Environment Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further