The Athenaeum is a 4,300-member private faculty club, located on the campus of Caltech since 1930. The club provides unparalleled dining, special/private events, and hotel lodging to members from Caltech, JPL, The Huntington, and the local community. The Athenaeum has a cherished position at Caltech as the gracious center of social life.
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Under general supervision, works on semi-routine assignments based on established procedures, verbal and/or written instructions where some judgment is required to accomplish tasks and solve problems.
- Sweeps, and mops kitchen and/or serving areas; cleans and sanitizes dish rooms; cleans special areas as necessary daily
- Prepares three-compartment cleaning system according to sanitization protocols
- Removes waste from customer dishes and trays; coordinates waste/trash removal and disposal from the dish room and other serving areas; disposes of boxes as appropriate
- Conducts deep cleaning according to protocols; completes special cleaning assignments (i.e. ovens/grills, vents, walk-in coolers, bathrooms, doors, etc.) as requested
- Cleans and stores pots, pans, and other equipment used by the cooks; may assist in putting away special equipment
- Separates customer dishes and utensils according to standard operating procedures; loads and runs dishwasher according to instructions
- Accounts for and brings back to dish room any utensils, dishes, decorations, equipment, etc. used during events
- Responsible for storing chemicals and cleaning products
- Communicates with other kitchen assistants to ensure that all work is accomplished by team
- Assists others with set up of serving line and/or events as requested
- May assist cooks in preparing and/or serving food
- May stock items in coolers, provide ice and/or set-up containers needed for buffets, salad bars, or special events. Removes, checks, and stacks clean dishes according to protocol
- Restocks dish station and storage according to needs
- May clean dining room tables
- May locate and bring special equipment to kitchen as requested (i.e. hotbox)
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned
- High school Diploma or equivalent with 1 year of relevant work experience
- California Food Handler Card or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment
- Must be able to continuously lift, push, and pull at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Prior hotel or luxury private club experience