Campus Security Officer
Role/Level/Range: ATO 40/E/02/OB
Starting Salary Range: $11.63 - $15.96 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Shift Work / 40 hrs week
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001621-Campus and Community Patrol
Personnel area: Johns Hopkins University
Responsibilities include uniformed patrols and crime prevention services to protect life and property; offering proactive support of student and staff initiatives; development and maintenance of a positive rapport with students, faculty, staff, and members of the surrounding neighborhoods; coordinating and cooperating with various University administrators in the preliminary and follow-up investigation of complaints; reporting criminal offenses and disruptions; enforcing University policies and regulations; writing reports and keeping records; Position involves shift work; rotating days off, and may include schedule changes as needed to meet the security and safety requirements of the University.
Work will be supervised on a daily basis by the on-duty Campus Safety and Security Shift Commander.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Patrol assigned areas on foot, bicycle, Segway Human Transporters, T-3, Patrol Vehicles or any other vehicles assigned for patrolling. Actively participate in crime prevention and community policing activities. Respond to routine and emergency calls for various types of service and take action as appropriate. Conduct preliminary investigations; maintain confidentiality while writing clear, concise and accurate reports. Conduct security inspection of University facilities and areas, reporting conditions as may be necessary. Direct pedestrian and vehicle traffic and enforce campus parking regulations as needed. Provide escorts and other general services as needed, including locking and unlocking buildings and rooms. Work flexible shifts on any day of the week that includes holidays or weekends to assist with operational and special event assignments. Use various computers and other equipment as a routine function of this position. Perform other security related services for the faculty, staff, students, and visitors of The Johns Hopkins University as may be necessary. Provide security for the University's on campus property, facilities, activities.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Successful completion of basic security officer training, field training and related training required.
- Prior security or law enforcement experience.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Operate a variety of machines and equipment including automobiles, office equipment, radio, telephone. Must be able to become certified to operate Segway’s, T-3’s, Bicycles, or any other equipment assigned in order to assist in performing their essential job functions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are necessary to effectively deal with University students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to understand verbal and written direction, maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, which includes stressful situations.
- Must also be able to work independently in absence of a supervisor, be able to make observations and write clear, concise, accurate reports containing acceptable content with proper grammar and punctuation reflecting these observations.
- Must be able to interact with the general public, students, staff and faculty in a collaborative manner.
- Must be able to work ALL shifts, including weekends, holiday, and overtime shifts. Overtime may be MANDATORY.
- Must be willing to work in a collaborative manner with university mental health professionals in stressful situations involving university personnel.
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
- Should be proficient in using multiple computer software programs designed to prepare reports and other documents relative to the position (i.e. MicroSoft Word, Excel, Power Point etc.).
Any Specific Physical Requirements for the Job:
- Successfully complete a physical/health screening examination by the Office of Occupational Health and Safety, which includes a drug screening; successfully meet and maintain Campus Safety and Security physical requirements.
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and officers must be able to remain on feet for extended periods of time, as well as stoop, kneel, crouch, lift, carry, push, pull, climb, balance, walk, and run. Run moderate distances and/or go up and /or down flights of steps; read, interpret, and understand University policies and procedures.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment including automobiles, Segways, T-3 Vehicles, bicycles, office equipment, radio, telephone, computers with current word processing programs and other applicable software, etc.
- This position is required to work outdoors in all weather conditions, withstand exposure to inclement weather.
- Must pass a University criminal background investigation; have and maintain a clean motor vehicle driving record (no more than two current points).
- This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
- A valid driver’s license would be required for any type of advancement.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information