Starting Salary Range: $18.48 to $25.42 per hour
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: Sunday through Saturday
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Department name: 60006979-Urban Teachers
Personnel area: School of Education
Johns Hopkins University School of Education invites applicants for the position of Teaching Assistant, supporting our partnership with the Urban Teachers program. The position will be based in the Washington, DC area. We seek qualified candidates with expertise in Secondary Science.
Urban Teachers in collaboration with Johns Hopkins University, offers a four-year teacher preparation program that results in the conferral of a Master’s of Science in Education degree with dual certification in a content area and special education. The mission of Urban Teachers is to prepare highly effective teachers who significantly accelerate student achievement in the nation’s highest-need schools by recruiting outstanding candidates, equipping them with state-of-the-art training, and linking their certification to their demonstration of effective teaching practices.
**IMPORTANT: Telecommuting Options; Multiple Positions Available; Not Benefits Eligible**
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Teaching Assistants will assist their faculty instructor(s) with:
- Preparation of coursework materials
- Grading coursework assignments
- Facilitation and classroom support of interactions including, though not limited to, small group work and breakout sessions
- Provision of targeted participant support by conducting regularly scheduled office hours up to 2 hours per week
Teaching Assistants are required to:
- Engage in weekly planning conversations with the faculty instructor
- Be present for each course session
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Master's Degree
- Minimum two years teaching experience in relevant course content area
Special Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Expertise in One of the Following Subject Areas:
- English Language Arts, Mathematics or Special Education (elementary and/or secondary)
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
More searches like this
- Permanent Education Other Academic jobs in Maryland
- Permanent Languages, Literature & Linguistics Other Academic jobs in Maryland
- Permanent Mathematics & Statistics Other Academic jobs in Maryland
- Permanent Physical Sciences Other Academic jobs in Maryland
- Permanent Social Sciences Other Academic jobs in Maryland