Senior Research Nurse
Starting Salary Range: $70,103 - $96,472
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10003206-SOM Uro Urology Research
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The Department of Urology is seeking a full time Sr. Research Nurse. The position is responsible for the development of programs to enhance patient experience as clinical care interfaces with the research mission. This position is responsible for the administrative and scientific implementation and coordination of the assigned clinical trial portfolio within the lab. The Sr. Research Nurse will report to a faculty principle investigator and work collaboratively with faculty.
A. Project Management:
- Anticipates research requirements for designated patient populations
- Collaborates in development and writing of protocols and consent forms, as appropriate.
- Collaborates in development and preparation of regulatory documents as appropriate.
- Applies knowledge of patient populations to evaluate new protocols.
- Reviews and assesses new protocols for clarity, thoroughness, logistical feasibility, maintaining subject safety etc.
- Lists and clarifies concerns and questions about new protocols with PI and/or sponsor.
- Educates patients regarding how research is involved in the care of patients.
- Collaborates in the determination of roles and responsibilities of health care team members in the implementation of trials.
- Collaborates in the design of appropriate methods for collection of data required for assigned trials, especially in regard to patient accessibility and ease of use.
- Oversees and collaborates in development of study tools including data collection forms, eligibility checklists, and assures receipt of protocol by pharmacy for review and input as appropriate.
- Communicates with coordinating center and provides necessary documentation (i.e., , IRB submissions, etc.) as appropriate.
- Assures compliance with local and national regulatory standards; as appropriate, prepares and submits required regulatory documents.
- Prepares drug data sheets for pharmacy and assures submission of same to CRO/IRB for assigned protocols as appropriate.
- Monitors for and notifies PI of IRB approval/request for further information as appropriate.
- Determines that IRB approval has been received prior to initiation of research activity as appropriate.
- Assures that all elements of a trial are in place before opening to accrual as appropriate.
- Communicates with protocol sponsors, NCI, cooperative group and coordinates plans to address issues with PI as appropriate.
Recruitment and enrollment:
- Ensures initial and ongoing eligibility of all subjects for assigned research studies.
- Collaborates in the development of recruitment strategies to ensure patient accrual within protocol timeframes.
Data collection/Document maintenance:
- Ensures collection of pertinent data from internal and external sources and monitors compliance with requirements of assigned clinical trials as appropriate.
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple projects at different stages of the clinical research process.
- Demonstrates ability to integrate new clinical trials with current research and patient care activity.
- Evaluates outcomes of clinical trials.
- Monitors study team compliance with required study procedures and GCP standards as appropriate.
- Performs/monitors ongoing data analysis regarding clinical research studies, including toxicities, dose modifications, dose levels, adverse reactions, and response as appropriate.
- Maintains records of correspondence of faxes, e-mails, IRB/JCCI submissions, FDA submissions, etc. as appropriate.
- Provides ongoing education to patients and families regarding pertinent clinical trial and clinical management issues.
- Collaborates with other members of the research team in preparing study results for presentation/publication.
- Given opportunities, authors/coauthors manuscripts for publication and/or presentation at conferences related to areas of expertise.
C. Clinical Practice
- Identifies need and incorporates information from other health care disciplines into clinical research protocols.
- Plans long-term study patient care in relation to identified and potential problems related to the assigned research protocols/patient populations.
- Collaborates with health care team to coordinate and facilitate protocol requirements and care for patients in research programs and clinical trials.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of nursing care s/he has planned, administered, or delegated for patients and clinical trials.
- Evaluates patient’s response to interventions and proposes alternative methods to meet individual patient needs;
- Evaluates effectiveness of nursing care planned on a long-term basis.
- Gives rationale for action/inaction based on scientific principles, practice experience, and internal/external regulations.
- Evaluates patients’ participation in assigned clinical trials and other research protocols and identifies barriers to compliance.
- Plans, proposes and evaluates means to overcome identified barriers to protocol compliance and research participation.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with members of other health care disciplines in order to facilitate clinical and research outcomes and patient care.
- Individual must be a registered nurse, licensed in the State of Maryland or state where practicing.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing or related discipline required.
- Master's degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in patient care required.
- Experience in navigating patients through health care decisions is preferred.
- Additional experience may substitute for bachelor's degree.
- Related master's degree may be considered in lieu of experience.
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross CPR certification required.
- Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment.
- Acceptable completion of the JHH or BMC credentialing process is required within two weeks of start date.
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
- Able to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods.
- Able to reach by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required, able to manipulate objects with fingers rather than entire hand(s) or arm(s), e.g., use of computer keyboard.
- Able to communicate using the spoken and written word.
- Able to see within normal parameters and to hear within normal range.
- Able to move about.
- Able to lift minimum weight, 25 lbs.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information