General Description of the Job Class
The Director of Strategic and Business Development for DUHS Clinical Laboratories puts into practice our mission and vision through the development and implementation of infrastructure, operational, care delivery or workforce initiatives that lead to more cost effective patient care while maintaining or improving quality and safety. This person also provides effective leadership and management over assigned hospital service lines to include responsibility and accountability for financial performance, billing and collections, budgeting and business planning for each service line while ensuring compliance with regulations and accreditation standards.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Support the mission and vision of DUHS and DUHS Clinical Laboratories by proactively identifying improvement opportunities and developing strategies and associated business plans that improve efficiency and allow our laboratories to provide more cost effective patient care while maintaining or increasing patient safety, patient satisfaction, and the quality of our services.
- Work with DUHS Clinical Laboratory Leadership to develop and implement growth strategies and associated plans.
- Act as a project manager for those projects requested by the Director of Clinical Laboratories and the Clinical Laboratory Leadership team.
- Ensure appropriate bottom line financial performance targets are developed and met through revenue enhancement and cost containment activities including but not limited to identifying opportunities to increase volumes through new service offerings
- negotiating with third party external laboratory service providers, payers or regulatory agencies Working with the PRMO and Finance Departments to prepare budgets for all fixed and variable expenses including labor costs and reagent costs and continuous monitoring of performance against these budgets with recommendations for remediation as necessary and appropriate.
- Work with our Laboratory Leadership team to ensure that financial performance targets are synchronized with and support our quality and patient safety performance targets.
- Monitor the level of resources utilized in the delivery of laboratory services and determine appropriateness of resource consumption. Based on this monitoring develop recommendations on appropriate care, redesigning as necessary.
- Monitor the level of consumption of laboratory services within DUH, DRH, and DRAH, and work with the medical directors of our laboratories at these hospitals to help ensure appropriate utilization. Based on this monitoring develop plans for care redesign as necessary and appropriate.
- Work with the Laboratory Operations Directors to develop a yearly comprehensive capital budget plan.
- Work with Compliance Department to understand governmental compliance regulations regarding billing, collections and the financial aspects of the provision of laboratory services and develop approaches that ensure compliance with rules and regulations. Representing DUHS Clinical Laboratories on hospital-wide and health system-wide committees and initiatives
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills
- Analysis and synthesis of large and complex data sets using modern analytics tools
- Ability to identity cost-saving and time-saving process improvement opportunities which improve the reliability, quality or safety of care.
- Ability to manage numerous diverse projects and tasks simultaneously through effective priority setting, efficient use of time, organization and project management.
- Knowledge of laboratory accreditation standards and government regulations related to health care finance
- Ability to function as an integral member of our laboratory leadership team and show integrity, dedication and passion in the pursuit of excellence.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Family Level I1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department
Bachelor's degree required.
Work requires seven years of progressive administrative experience, generally in a hospital, health care or similar service industry to become proficient in managing quality of care and financial performance over assigned hospital service line.A Master's degree in Hospital Administration, Business Administration or a related field may be substituted for experience on a 1:1 basis.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills Analysis and synthesis of large and complex data sets using modern analytics tools Ability to identity cost-saving and time-saving process improvement opportunities which improve the reliability, quality or safety of care. Ability to manage numerous diverse projects and tasks simultaneously through effective priority setting, efficient use of time, organization and project management. Knowledge of laboratory accreditation standards and government regulations related to health care finance Ability to function as an integral member of our laboratory leadership team and show integrity, dedication and passion in the pursuit of excellence.