Location : Oxford Road, Manchester
Closing Date : 18/02/2019
Salary : £23,334 - £26,243 per annum depending on experience
Employment Type : Fixed Term
Faculty / Organisational Unit : Professional Services
Division : ITS Service Delivery & Infrastructure
Hours Per week : 35 Hours per week
Contract Duration : 12 months from commencement of contract
About IT Services
IT Services at the University of Manchester is a vibrant and fast moving department, we focus on delivering excellent customer service and quality services for our staff, students and researchers.
Find out more about our organisation and values:
About This Role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Infrastructure Analyst in the Operations team delivering Operations Centre management and monitoring of services and support to IT teams, providing escalation and event management for any issues occurring.
The successful candidate will work to the direction of the Process and Availability Manager, and work closely with the areas covered by Capacity, Configuration, Availability, and Service Continuity coordinators or Head of Service as appropriate, to provide monitoring and reporting on system status, event escalation and issues resolution to ensure services are not degraded and operating in line with Service Level agreements
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Ability to operate within a team and independently as appropriate
- Demonstrate the ability to work flexibly, individually or as part of a team, to resolve service issues in a timely and effective manner
- Demonstrate a history of effective communication benefiting the service area as a whole ensuring that both IS infrastructure and support communities have clearly defined expectations and understanding of a diverse and complex environment
- skills and experience of leading or working within project or task teams
- demonstrate experience in identifying and managing the implications change
- Be of, or be working towards, professional standing with appropriate skills and knowledge in the service area; this could be demonstrated through previous employment experience or educational achievement
- Have a background in the identification of areas of weakness and leading or contributing to the development and delivery of appropriate service improvement plans
- Demonstrate awareness of and actively promote recognised best practice and standards appropriate to the service area
- Demonstrate a proactive approach to support where possible
- Demonstrable experience within a similar IS support role, preferably within the HE sector
- excellent communications skills gained in a customer facing environment including experience of dealing with a diverse range of technical architectures systems, and applications
- a service focused outlook with excellent support skills including excellent problem solving and analytical skills along with personal time-management skills
- Ability to appreciate the key strategic & operational objectives and priorities of the organisation both locally & at the wider university level
- Demonstrate experience of managing supplier, customer and partner relationships to the benefit of the Operations Service.
- Extensive proven skills in and significant experience of the installation, configuration, management and support of a Microsoft Windows workstation or Linux Workstation environment
- Extensive proven skills to execute a range of procedures in supporting hosting activities.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of physical infrastructure operation, configuration, capacity, availability management.
- Demonstrate skills in and experience of the configuration and support of Unix and Linux operating systems, Microsoft Windows and Novell Netware servers
- Extensive proven skills in and significant experience of supporting a broad range of monitoring applications, statistical analysis, management information systems and content generation.
- Extensive skills in and significant experience of the support of networked environment including a good understanding of network architectures
- Possess a recognised service management qualification such as the ISEB Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management or the ISEB Service Desk Practitioners Certificate
When addressing the person specification criteria in your application for the role, please ensure you make reference to the specific role requirements above.
As an equal opportunities employer we welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and transgender status. All appointments are made on merit.
Please note that we are unable to respond to enquiries, accept CVs or applications from Recruitment Agencies
Enquiries about vacancy shortlisting and interviews:
Manager: Patricia Haigh
Tel: 0161 275 4499
Tel: 0161 850 2004
This vacancy will close for applications at midnight on the closing date