Location: Manchester St James's
Closing date: 18/02/2019
Employment type: Permanent
Department: Group IT - IT Operations
To provide technical leadership to the development team. To run the daily development of, lead and consult on the development of all application components in the BPP Architecture. Ensuring all work is carried out to the highest standard following industry best practices, BPP methodologies and SDLC processes. To ensure all team members are mentored, engaged and fully understand the work being undertaken. To contribute to and be responsible for the continuous change and Never Stand Still attitude of the IT Department and business as a whole.
PRINCIPAL JOB ELEMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Lead the Estimation, Development and Documentation of application components in line with Architecture and overall IT strategy
- Work with the Application Development Manager to continually evolve the SDLC, development methodologies and best practices
- Resource planning
- Provide technical leadership for all team members
- Liaise with the business and architecture to clarify and agree requirements
- Work directly with the Architecture team to ensure designs are accurate and understood
- Feedback to the Application Development Manager in a timely manner on any/all risks to BPP as/if they present themselves
KEY JOB CONTACTS
- Management teams of all Lines of Operational Business
- Business Change Teams
- All BPP staff
- Various 3rd party technical service providers
- System Test Team
- Decision-making authority
- Changes to the SDLC as required
- Work estimation, planning and allocation
- Application component code structure
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES
- Resource Management – Effectively allocate work to the right team members
- Code Quality – Each application release cycle will review code quality against issues found in system testing
- Team Knowledge/Competency – Mentorship of all members to ensure their own knowledge is adequate for the tasks they have been set is a key measure of this role
- Secure Coding Practice – A key measure of this role is to continually embed secure coding practices into the BPP Application Architecture
- Achieving Results – Be aware of key business objectives, and ensure these are applied appropriately to all business activities.
- Building Relationships – Able to develop effective relationships with all BPP and client staff, and be recognised as providing a supporting role.
- Commercial and Business Awareness – Able to balance the financial, quality, people and customer expectation related risks. Bring a strong appreciation of the application of controls to ensure projects meet the commercial challenges of the organisation and follow a robust approach.
- Customer Focus (internal & external) – Effective in anticipating and understanding customer expectations, and ensure customer requirements are met and expectations appropriately managed. Able to build partner relationships with internal and external customers, with a clear focus on driving through solutions.
- Communication – Effective communication skills suitable for the management of and liaison with departmental staff and senior management, both on a one to one and one to many basis. Demonstrate effective communication, both orally and in writing, with subordinates, colleagues, clients and customers including producing reports, preparing, organising and delivering presentations using appropriate tools and techniques, and taking a leading role in facilitating effective meetings and discussions.
- Planning and Organising – Effective at determining a course of action by breaking it down into smaller steps, making allowance for potential problems.
- Understanding BPP – Aware of BPP strategies, policies and procedures. Aware of how the organisation operates.
- Teamwork – Effective in delivering the objectives of a team, and be able to share knowledge, drive ideas, solutions and provide quality information. Awareness of the needs, objectives and constraints of those in other disciplines and functions. Effective at managing people and can adopt an appropriate style to foster trusting and respectful team working.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making – Able to solve problems in a measured and creative way. Capable of independently assessing a wide variety of tasks, and be proactive in relation to identifying and undertaking activities that bring business benefit. Able to balance long and short term objectives, and understand business value. Be responsible for own decisions.
- Influencing and Impact – Act in a professional manner, and exhibit the required behaviour that should act as an example to other employees. Needs to delegate tasks, responsibilities and authorities effectively. Effective at identifying goals and objectives, and motivating and leading others towards their achievement. Able to network throughout the wider BPP community.
- Innovation, Flexibility and Adaptability – Undertake tasks with a positive attitude and respond well to management and client requests. Working locations may include a variety of BPP and client sites. Must be prepared to meet business goals and embrace change.
Skills, knowledge, qualifications required for job
- Qualifications – Degree qualified to BSc/BA level with a highly technical, programming or Computer Science agenda
- Experience – Extensive experience in a technical development role & significant experience in a Technical Leadership capacity or Senior capacity
- Training – Thorough understanding of SDLC and Project methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban and Prince2
- Skills – Must have demonstrable skills in the following areas;
- C#.Net or Java (PHP considered)
- HTML, CSS
- Database technologies (Oracle and/or MS SQL Server)
- PL/SQL and/or T-SQL
- ETL Techniques
- Multi-tier Enterprise
- SOA or Enterprise Level Application integration
- ETL Integration
- Micro services (desired)
- Database Architectures
- OLAP (RDBM)
- OLTP (RDBM)
- Graph db (Desired)
- Document db (Desired)
- Development Methodologies
- Experience in Agile, Kanban/Scrum
- Full end to end SDLC appreciation
- Extreme or Pair Programming
- Analytical Thinking – Effective at acquiring an understanding of a problem or situation, and developing an approach to drive forward solutions. Clear demonstration of bringing business focussed recommendations and driving them forward to implementation.
- Strategic Perspective – Needs to bring clarity of purpose, taking account of overall objectives and strategies when dealing with operational pressure.
- Applying standards – Effective in the application of relevant industry and process standards to all tasks undertaken.
- Industry Developments – Must take initiative to ensure technical skills and specialisations are kept up to date in line with industry developments and ensure that all relevant skill sets are current.