How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Candidates must include a portfolio with three recent writing samples and three graphic design samples (or links to them online).
The mission of The Center for Entrepreneurship (CFE) is to inspire and transform the Michigan community into entrepreneurial thinkers and doers. The CFE is an innovation hub where the ideas, people, resources, and technology meet and create the future. The CFE provides active learning experiences to all students and faculty at the University through classes and programs that are designed to teach the skills needed to successfully translate high-potential projects and ideas into the world. In learning these skills, individuals become better prepared to identify and act on opportunities to solve problems in any organization, or entrepreneurial endeavor.
The CFE is seeking a high-energy individual to further position the Center as a global leader in entrepreneurship education. The person in this position will work directly with the CFE Marketing and Communications Manager to coordinate the marketing and communications efforts of the CFE. The Marketing and Communications Specialist will support the execution of effective marketing and communications strategies and materials that tell the stories of our students, faculty, and programs. In addition, the person in this position will support the creation of public relations and press opportunities to broaden awareness of the CFE. The ideal candidate must be able to create messages that resonate with key CFE stakeholders and audiences. The primary audiences of the CFE include students, faculty, and researchers being recruited into our programs, the University community and leadership, peer institutions, external CFE partners (alumni and industry), venture capitalists, entrepreneurs, and other organizations with interest in high-impact entrepreneurship and innovation. The ideal candidate will be capable at using text, graphics, video, and audio to connect with audiences and, when needed, persuade them to action.
The CFE seeks an individual who is effective with traditional communication channels, as well as new platforms/technologies, and capable of leveraging new ways of reaching a target audience. The successful candidate will understand how to identify specific customer segments and define associated value propositions to tell a well-crafted story with compelling visual elements. The person in this role must have experience managing marketing and communications projects from ideation to delivery as well as demonstrable attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines. The selected candidate will know how to track and analyze data to inform strategic communication decisions.
Marketing Coordination - 50%
- Create and implement the CFE’s marketing and communications efforts in collaboration with the CFE Marketing and Communications Manager. These efforts include, but are not limited to:
- Raise awareness of and drive participation in the CFE programs;
- Demonstrate the value of CFE to the University community and leadership;
- Engage our alumni network and industry partners; and
- Position the CFE as a global leader in entrepreneurship education.
- Interpret campaign results and apply learnings to future campaigns.
- Maintain CFE web and social media presence, including developing brand voice, maintaining content calendar across multiple platforms, moderating responses, creating paid advertisements, using analytics to improve post performance, and encouraging positive engagement with brand. Keep up-to-date on social media trends and tools.
- Support and manage a team of multimedia interns and establish relationships with freelancers to support projects related to graphic design, video, photography, and web development.
- Identify, record, and monitor key marketing and communications performance metrics.
Content Development - 35%
- Coordinate and develop original content for blogs, newsletters, press releases, web stories, marketing collateral, and other digital and print materials for the CFE’s programs.
- Write general content for website and online publications.
- Write in a variety of styles – formal, informal, informational, promotional.
- Streamline and edit content provided by various CFE programs for reports and brochures.
Internal and External Communications - 15%
- Use traditional and digital media to highlight and document the success of CFE students, faculty, staff, and researchers and tell the story of the CFE.
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant campus, local, and national media outlets, strategic partners, and peer institutions: particularly the CoE Communications and Marketing Department.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communication, journalism, or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including copywriting and presenting.
- Experience drafting original content for blogs, newsletters, press releases, web stories, marketing collateral, and other digital and print platforms.
- Experience identifying and monitoring key metrics of success.
- Demonstrated experience supporting multiple social media channels, including developing a brand voice and encouraging positive engagement.
- Capability for efficiently managing multiple, diverse projects simultaneously and for creating innovative work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with other creative professionals, including graphic designers, photographers, videographers, and web developers.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic and pride in what you do and how you do it.
- Willingness to be flexible, adaptable and open in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent computer skills.
- High proficiency in Microsoft office, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel. Expertise in Keynote preferred.
- Experience with WordPress sites.
- High proficiency in Google documents, including Slides, Docs, and Sheets.
- Experience working with graphic design technologies and software (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop).
- Familiarity with WordPress website maintenance.
- Experience executing marketing strategies.
- Experience working with local and national media outlets.
- Advanced graphic design abilities.
- Ability to maintain a positive and can-do attitude.
- Strong social media knowledge and experience.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.