Research Senior Supervisor
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Michigan Medicine Department of Orthopaedic Surgery is seeking a Research Senior Supervisor/Program Manager to join our team. The faculty and staff of our department are dedicated to providing outstanding, state-of-the-art, evidence-based care for musculoskeletal injuries and conditions. The department’s service-excellence philosophy is founded on the goals of exceeding expectations and having every interaction leave a lasting, positive impression.
This position is to serve as the Project Manager for the Michigan Arthroplasty Registry Quality Collaborative Initiative (MARCQI), which is a state-wide network of hospitals and orthopaedic surgeons engaged in a registry-based quality improvement process for hip and knee joint replacement. The position requires maintaining an outstanding relationship with the sponsor (Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan or BCBSM), the MARCQI Executive Committee, Co-Directors and hospital sites.
- Develop an annual statement of work
- Develop and manage an annual budget
- Plan and conduct collaborative-wide meetings three times a year
- Develop progress and annual reports
- Evaluate level of engagement and activity of participating sites
- Manage site compliance with data submission expectations
- Develop and revise performance index measures and score hospitals
- Update outcomes slides and quality improvement reports
- Collect/report case volumes to BCBSM and respond to BCBSM queries in a timely fashion
- Manage and execute projects
- Supervise a professional staff
- Oversee communications activity
- Interact with other joint replacement registries and collaborative quality initiatives (CQI’s)
- Assist in recruitment /enrollment of hospitals including organizing kickoff meetings for new sites as needed
- Maintain all contracts and subcontracts necessary for the operation of MARCQI
- Assure that all legal agreements are properly executed by all MARCQI sites (Business Associate Agreement, Data Use Agreement, etc.)
- Maintain current/update policies and procedures for MARCQI
- Keep current on policy and regulatory changes at the state and national level that may impact MARCQI
The incumbent must be independent and self-motivated, possessing a high level of determination and creativity. The person will organize and marshal the available resources to achieve objectives set by the leadership of MARCQI. This will be done by using formal project management techniques including detailed timelines, milestones and critical pathway methods. The incumbent must be adept at working with two Co-Directors of MARCQI.
The incumbent will be guided primarily by established policies, precedent and professional knowledge and/or by project/program objectives established by MARCQI leadership. Requires independent judgement to search out appropriate course of action within the context of policies and procedures. Able to prioritize activities and work.
The incumbent is responsible for managing the MARCQI staff. This includes teambuilding and appropriate delegation of responsibility and accountability. The incumbent is responsible for staff activities related to human resource management. Management duties such as interviewing, selection and training of staff, setting and adjusting rates of pay and hours of work; planning and directing their work; appraising their productivity and efficiency for the purpose of recommending promotions or changes in status; handling complaints and grievances and disciplining when necessary.
The position requires the ability to travel, mainly within the state of Michigan.
- Master’s degree in Nursing, Public Health or Hospital Administration
- Minimum of ten years quality and healthcare related experience
- Management or supervisor experience
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint software
- Experience in database management
- Knowledge of project management techniques
- Experience in developing and managing budgets
- Ph.D. in Public Health, or related field
- Prior experience in running health services research initiatives
- Ability to use project management software
- Familiarity with HIPAA rules
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.