Senior Administrative Coordinator
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OF
Starting Salary Range: $19.62 - $27.00 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F; 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10000153-Bioethics Institute
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
As a university-wide, independent, interdisciplinary center, the Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics identifies and addresses key ethical issues in science, clinical care, and public health both locally and globally. The Director of Finance and Administration is seeking a full-time Senior Administrative Coordinator in the Office of Finance and Administration, which is responsible for administration, finance, facilities, human resources, special events, and other activities for the Institute. The Senior Administrative Coordinator will administratively support the Director of Finance & Administration and handle facilities as well as financial transactions, reconciliations, and reporting.
- Administratively support the Director of Finance and Administration. Exercise a high level of independent judgment in triaging requests and resolving issues for a variety of constituencies. Effectively communicate with academic and administrative leaders, faculty, students, and other staff, on behalf of the director.
- Schedule appointments for the Director, anticipate and resolve schedule conflicts, arrange travel, and serve as point of contact for Director’s office. Organize meetings and prepare meeting materials. Manage task files and follow up on activities and projects, staying informed regarding all on-going projects for the Director.
- Coordinate key functional aspects of the Institute’s facilities and daily operations involving building, activities, equipment, and resources. Assist with building operations and work with Director to ensure building systems are working effectively and efficiently (including plumbing, HVAC, housekeeping, etc.). Manage building issues, some of which may be particular to historic/older buildings, and research/propose solutions. Independently identify, evaluate, negotiate, and contract with companies and contractors to complete facilities related work.
- Create and maintain records tracking system for facilities preventative maintenance, life-cycle replacements, and other related issues as well as serve as the primary point of contact for employees reporting issues. Handle daily facilities requirements, including room set-up for courses and other activities.
- Identify, research, and propose recommendations to improve efficiency and generate new approaches to solving BI operational challenges. Lead implementation of new initiatives and strategically anticipate and address issues with creative problem solving. Develop and organize policy and procedure manuals.
- Prepare, approve, and/or serve as backup for financial transactions (purchase orders, online payments, purchase cards, transfers, and others). Reconcile assigned accounts on a monthly basis and identify/resolve financial discrepancies. Thoroughly analyze financial data and assist in the development of financial projections, non-sponsored budgets, and annual budgets.
- Draft financial memos and reports, correspondence, and other documents on behalf of the Director for dissemination to a wide audience. Proofread and edit confidential and sensitive information, and prepare official documents for signature.
- Design and maintain electronic and physical filing systems to include: filing, retrieval, storage, coding, updating, and destructions. Perform a complete catalogue and reorganization of extensive electronic filing system.
- Develop, oversee, and plan for computer, software, and A/V purchasing, maintenance, and replacement including forecasting and budgeting. Coordinate IT services for new equipment, maintain/monitor inventory, and organize upgrades as needed. Participate in onboarding of new employees by arranging for equipment (computer, telephone, mail box, and desk space) and access (building and printer).
- Manage inventory of office supplies. As the procurement cardholder compile supply and other item requests and place orders utilizing cost-effective methods. Monitor receipt of items and organize invoices for payment and budget reconciliation.
- Represent BI in internal (JHU) and external relationships with professionalism and diplomacy.
- Handle special projects and other duties as required.
- High School diploma required.
- Five years progressively responsible administrative experience required.
- Additional education may substitute for experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula:
30 undergraduate degree credits or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience; up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to apply planning and project management skills to a range of program and administrative work/situations as needed with efficiency. Perform duties without direct supervision or guidance on a regular basis.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment while staying flexible to changing priorities. Respond to requests and urgent matters quickly and creatively.
- Possess excellent organizational skills and attention to detail to track and/or manage various projects and priorities while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and prioritizing workflow.
- Proficient in upholding a high level of confidentiality through adherence to established protocols and guidelines.
- Adept in effectively communicating through strong oral and writing skills. Experienced in writing and editing professional letters, reports, and documents.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service with the ability to diffuse difficult situations involving internal and external customers.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook), SAP (preferred), and skilled in online research. Ability to use technology to create administrative efficiencies and interest in staying technically current and mastering new software and university online systems.
*In addition to your resume, please Include a cover letter with your application*
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information