Campus Operations Assistant Manager
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OD
Starting Salary Range: $15.11 to $20.79 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 2:00-10:30 PM, subject to change based on departmental demands
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 46-MD:JH at Harbor East
Department name: 60000327-Operations
Personnel area: Carey Business School
The Campus Operations and Facilities department at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School is dedicated to providing effective support by ensuring safety and comfort and upholding the dignity and worth of our students, faculty and staff while evolving with the exponential growth of the school. The basic function of this position is to provide supervision and guidance over custodial duties as required for the daily operation, scheduled events and activities at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Performance Management (50%):
- Responsible for supervising contracted porter/custodial staff.
- Assist with personnel management, including interviewing prospective staff, disciplining employees and upholding contractual and university personnel guidelines.
- Train new full-time and part-time contract employees, one-on-one or in group settings.
- Responsible for achieving excellent results in both routine and project work by holding staff accountable for performance.
- Foster a work environment of inclusiveness and respect and promote good employee morale.
Facilities and Custodial Duties (50%):
- Perform routine and specialized cleaning of academic and non-academic spaces, including but not limited to: offices, libraries, classrooms, restrooms, common areas and entryways.
- Maintains all assigned areas in a clean, orderly, and sanitary manner. Sanitizes bathroom surfaces, fixtures and pantry areas.
- Restocks restroom and kitchen area consumable supplies daily.
- Broom sweeps, dry/damp/wet mops hard surface floors and stairs as assigned.
- Dusts and/or washes furniture, walls and horizontal surfaces.
- Vacuums carpeted floor surfaces using light and/or heavy duty vacuums.
- Empties and cleans trash and recycling receptacles and moves trash and recyclables to designated pick-up points.
- Strips, waxes and polishes floors using power floor machines.
- Operates heavy-duty wet pick-up machines to remove liquids from floor surfaces.
- Washes interior windows and first floor exterior windows.
- Coordinate and complete furniture moves and extra cleaning required for event set ups.
- Perform cleaning tasks as required to make up for missing staff members.
- Participate in procurement of all equipment, parts and supplies required to maintain facility.
- Oversee and ensure the proper use and care of equipment and supplies.
- Assist in the development of guidelines for standards in custodial activities.
- Conduct frequent inspections of the facility to ensure that all services are provided as directed.
- Identify and report maintenance problems at campus center using web-based system.
- Oversight of outside contractors working in Carey Business School space by holding them accountable for performance of duties and to meet JHU quality standards, whether contract or time and material work.
- Assist Director of Campus Operations and Facilities in developing, implementing and maintaining an efficient corrective and preventative maintenance program for the Carey Business School.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Two years’ experience in facilities operations or housekeeping services required.
- 3 -5 years of custodial or maintenance experience preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in a professional setting.
- Experience in an academic environment is a plus.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General knowledge of all Carey Business School organizational structure.
- Must be highly service oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to draft basic original correspondence and emails
- Experience with electronic communications.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Ability to balance competing priorities.
- Ability to work in a deadline- driven organization.
- Flexible and ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and circumstances.
- Ability to make work related decisions without immediate supervision.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks such as stooping, bending, reaching and carrying items.
- Must be able to tolerate dust and other airborne particles as well as approved cleaning chemicals.
- Physical ability to lift 80 pounds required.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as required for special functions.
- Must be available to respond to off-hour emergencies as needed.
- Required to wear clean, neat uniform and maintain a professional image at all times.
- Required to wear safety equipment and clothing when appropriate and/or required.
- 3 contractual staff.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information