University Information Systems Business Solution Analyst
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 02-MD:Mount Washington Campus
Department name: 10000020-IT@JH University Information Systems
Personnel area: University Administration
General Position Summary:
Responsible for the creation, implementation, maintenance, performance, production support and documentation of various departmental and enterprise-wide application systems. This includes but is not limited to the installation, modification, and testing of new and/or upgraded applications (packages or home grown), operating systems, file structures, hardware, communication devices, and productivity tools. Applies analysis techniques and procedures to gather and then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs. Using functional specifications and designs, produces all or part of the deliverables. Maintains databases and application system code.
Within University Information Systems (UIS) at the Johns Hopkins University, the IT Business Solutions Analyst is responsible for ensuring successful delivery of high-quality technical solutions that meet expectations of our university constituents by leading a variety of programs and projects to evaluate business processes and gather requirements for complex transaction and reporting systems and adoption of test-driven development methodology, including developing, maintaining and organizing test cases, test scripts and test scenarios for the university’s information systems. This includes test events and various other test deliverables for projects, enhancements, operations and maintenance activities, common understanding and documentation of scope, requirements and design amongst stakeholders including sponsors, decision makers, content owners, users and technical teams. This position will also serve as a liaison providing assistance to various members of the UIS team and business partners by understanding the business requirements at a depth sufficient to define technical deliverables, including appropriate test coverage to ensure quality product is delivered. Position is also responsible for analyzing and reporting meaningful metrics on testing status and operations.
The IT Business Solutions Analyst will provide a layer of essential services surrounding software development services, including the analysis and gathering of requirements, engaging with developers/engineers on solution design, and designing test suite in parallel with software development that will ultimately ensure delivered product meets quality standards, is fit for use, and meets expectations articulated by our customers.
Collaborates with various IT@JH teams for technical direction and feasibility studies to propose solutions that address requirements. Applies proven communication, analytical and problem solving skills to deliver value-added solutions and to ensure project deliverables meet specifications. Expected to critically evaluate articulated needs or requirements and propose technical solutions to address them, leveraging standards to the extent possible. Ability to evaluate vendor-provided solutions relative to business needs/requirements and recommend suitable solutions is essential.
This position includes applying knowledge to identifying and developing test cases, automated test cases, unit testing, test scripts for identified business requirements, and corresponding data requirements for various business processes. This position also includes responsibilities for individuals to recommend tools, execute tests and manage defects.
This position requires a combination of strong functional abilities, writing, data visualization and user facing skills. Critical skill requirements include: analysis and gathering of requirements, documentation, creating data flow diagrams and/or visual prototypes & visual representations of data, strong verbal and written communication, developing test cases, automated test cases, unit testing and test scripts.
Under limited guidance, responsible for requirement gathering and analysis, developing recommendations for technical solutions in concert with technical professionals on the team, and enabling test-driven development of solutions by maintaining test plans and test assets for team work (enhancement, support and maintenance projects). Demonstrates strong ability in technology and/or strong understanding of the business/education process. Builds and maintains client relationships through positive interactions.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENTS GATHERING
- Define complex business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes.
- Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Gather complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
- Work with sponsors and users to define project scope and objectives.
- Conduct user interviews for requirements gathering.
- Analyze business problems and propose appropriate automated solutions, business processes and procedures.
- Research and recommend system design and enhancements to minimize costs and maximize system use.
- Identify other uses and expansion of the tool sets.
- Write business cases, business requirements, develop functional specs and functional prototypes.
- Evaluate client needs for quantitative analysis and participate in creating and articulating relevant solutions.
- Communicate and collaborate with data analyst, technical developers and architects on business requirements for ongoing business intelligence initiatives and enhancements to existing systems.
- Facilitate meetings, creates status reports and communicates with stakeholders or business users, under guidance.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for complex projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards.
- Write functional/technical specifications by taking the provided complex system requirements and putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
- Direct lower level staff by reviewing their work.
- Provide monitoring and guidance in business process and application design to more junior staff. Give direction and leadership in techniques and tools to lower level staff.
- Provide experienced leadership for strategic planning in designing and developing comprehensive innovative integrated solutions.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Create and document complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
- Mentor junior staff in testing tools and technologies by reviewing their work.
- Work closely with project managers and project team to provide testing timelines and status as well as requirements gathering.
- Create test strategy based on the analysis of design document and requirements.
- Design test plans for projects and work with project teams and business partners to obtain approval.
- Facilitate integrated testing of business solutions.
- Create test plans, coordinate testing, data validation sessions and conduct unit and functional testing.
- Ensure that requirements, design and testing documentation meet department standards.
- Generate test scripts and perform test analysis: Test scripts will be manual or automated.
- Execute some functional and technical tests according to test plans and scripts, document results, and quickly identify, communicate and/or troubleshoot issues.
- Facilitate data governance to ensure responsibilities for content owners are clearly defined and communicated.
- Work with vendors to resolve problems, as needed.
- Report test results and metrics to management and team in timely matter.
- Define test cases, scripts and corresponding data sets.
- Manage and execute test preparation activities with minimal supervision.
- Perform test execution and defect tracking (if applicable).
- Learn, support, maintain and train users on testing tools.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes and resolve complex problems by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Provide support by triaging and resolving complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Additional experience may be substituted for education.
JHU: Related experience beyond minimum training experience qualifications may substitute for formal education requirement on a two years’ experience-for-one year education basis.
- Five years of related work experience focused within testing and business requirement gathering.
- At least 5 or more years of business requirement gathering experience.
- At least 5 or more years of hands-on experience with system / integration / user acceptance testing (automated and manual).
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience creating test scripts (automated and manual).
- Effective in team setting or as individual contributor in an IT setting.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Knowledge in the assigned application as well as the platform on which it runs (SQL Server).
- Higher education experience is helpful but not required.
- Excellent technical skills (e.g. HP Quality Center, HP Quick Test Pro, HP Load Runner) and ability to apply it.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
- Some experience as a Quality Assurance Test Analyst.
- Ability to multi-task & support multiple priorities / multiple deliverables.
- Excellent technical skills (e.g. SQL Server) and ability to apply it.
- Strong understanding of IT concepts, development life cycles and best practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with disparate clients from business stakeholders to technical developers.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills: must have facilitated and guided users through requirements sessions with a combination of prototype and storytelling.
- Ability to independently lead or facilitate meetings and perform as a team player in one or multiple agile/waterfall teams.
- Self-starter with the ability to appropriately prioritize and plan complex work for self or a team in a highly decentralized environment with minimal guidance.
- Strong critical thinker with problem solving aptitude and ability to take initiative with an analytical perspective.
- Strong understanding of the Agile development methodology and requirement gathering process.
- Ability to understand requirements and translate into test cases.
- Ability to work with functional users and gather and document system requirements.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
Mount Washington Campus