Senior Data Analyst
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30-5:00
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 60008327-Vice Provost for Admissions & Fin Aid
Personnel area: Homewood Student Affairs
The Senior Analyst of Strategic Data and Enrollment Planning is responsible for the strategic design, implementation, integration, and accessibility of resources which enable effective and reliable data analytics and business intelligence. The Senior Analyst is responsible for leading the development and delivery of reports, and other analytical solutions used by senior leadership to inform admissions and financial aid strategy and to drive marketing efforts.
Serves as core member of Vice Provost for Admissions and Financial Aid management team, providing high level data analysis to inform strategic planning and analyze the effectiveness of initiatives through data-driven research. Review and understand large sets of historical data while being able to highlight relevant trends and patterns. Must be able to rapidly understand data schemas and layouts. Must be able to perform advanced data extraction and leverage data analytics expertise to identify/understand organizational needs and contribute to the formation and execution of strategy.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of the Job:
- Participate as member of Vice Provost’s core management team representing and responsible for creating an integrated, data-driven environment for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the Office of Student Financial Services.
- Develop and execute strategies to provide timely data and analyses concerning the strategic initiatives of these two offices.
- Integrate the admissions and financial aid reporting environments.
- Apply quantitative expertise to admissions and financial aid issues.
- Inform strategic planning from a data analysis perspective.
- Foster collaboration across departments/organization to ensure flow of data required for analysis and to identify new opportunities.
- Oversee the architecture and management of the data warehouse, including optimizing its design, ensuring data integrity, archiving data, and incorporating new data elements.
- Diagnose system and data issues in the admissions data warehouse.
- Coordinate testing of corrections, and introduce resolutions to issues.
- Design and develop reporting infrastructure including working with central IT to create a robust data warehouse environment.
- Create data analysis tools to be used by Deans and managers in admissions and financial aid as well as automated data delivery tools for the office and other university constituents such as the Provost and President and the Deans of the Krieger and Whiting Schools.
- Develop data ownership policies, procedures and best practices.
- Coordinate and produce reports and surveys concerning admissions and financial aid for external organizations and membership groups.
- Responsible for high level data analysis and provide strategic input based on analytic findings.
- Establish and maintain the infrastructure related to accurate data analysis such as data tools and data integrity procedures.
- Responsible for overseeing the proper use of data and technology and creating data-driven, analytical business processes and procedures.
- Design data schema to facilitate analyses, e.g. in support of prospect data.
- Manage Admissions reporting efforts to internal and external entities to assure data quality and integrity.
- Develop and execute a strategy for ingesting data from a variety of third party sources, then transforming and leveraging it for analytical use.
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Present senior leadership with key findings in a non-technical manner to inform admissions and financial aid strategy and drive marketing efforts.
- Organize material and complete assignments according to established standards regarding clarity, conciseness, style and terminology.
- Bachelors’ degree required (Statistics, Mathematics, Finance/Accounting/Economics, Computer Science preferred).
- Masters’ degree may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula (18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience).
Related Work Experience:
- Five years related experience required, preferably within undergraduate higher education environment.
- Formal knowledge of statistics desirable.
- Three years previous work experience within undergraduate higher education environment desirable.
- Experience automating report generation using VBA.
- Experience presenting key findings in a non-technical manner to clients and senior leadership.
Special Skills and Knowledge:
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated understanding of developing and tuning complex queries, stored procedures, and user-defined functions using T-SQL.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, JIRA, Confluence, VSS (or equivalent code change control applications), SCT SunGard Matrix, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, bulk email applications, Google Analytics.
- Familiarity with Customer Relations Management (CRM) software suites and document imaging/document management applications.
- Knowledge of database structures and their capabilities and limitations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of key analytics and reporting software, including SQL reporting tools, Microsoft Excel, and Tableau (or other data presentation software).
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated understanding of ETL or other data processing techniques, preferably using SSIS.
- Must possess skills to convey complex ideas to non-technical audiences. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to convey information to faculty, staff and University officials.
- Self-motivated, able to work effectively both independently and cooperatively, and has had proven success working as a member of a team.
- Advanced knowledge of techniques to automate report generation and delivery.
- Knowledge of current trends and technologies used in data science.
- This position is required to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects, deadlines and responsibilities requiring a strong work ethic that stresses delivery of sound, accurate data.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
More searches like this
- Permanent Computer Science IT Services jobs in Maryland
- Permanent Economics & Econometrics IT Services jobs in Maryland
- Permanent Engineering & Technology IT Services jobs in Maryland
- Permanent Mathematics & Statistics IT Services jobs in Maryland
- Permanent Physical Sciences IT Services jobs in Maryland