Software Development Engineer, Knowledge Transfer Partnership Associate
Engineering & Applied Science
Location: Aston University Main Campus
Salary: £30,000 per annum
depending on your experience plus personal development budget of £2K p.a
Contract Type: Fixed Term (24 months)
Basis: Full Time
Closing Date: 23.59 hours GMT on Wednesday 27 February 2019
Interview Date: To be confirmed
This is an exciting opportunity for a BSc (2:1 min) or MSc Graduate in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related discipline to transform Wickens into a "Smart Factory", by developing the company’s software systems. The Associate will work with a Mechanical Design Engineer (KTP Associate), to integrate CRM and CAD systems with new robotic manufacturing capabilities to automate design and manufacturing.
The Company: Wickens Engineering Ltd is a leading manufacturer of industrial storage equipment in the UK. It designs, manufactures & installs bespoke storage solutions with CE marking & ISO 9001:2015accreditation, which are supplied to a wide range of industries. They are committed to process development including substantial investment in IT Systems, Automation and Robotics. To find out more please visit https://www.wickens.co.uk/
Aston University: You will work in a project team from Mechanical Engineering and Design and Computer Science departments based in The School of Engineering and Applied Science, which undertakes cutting-edge multidisciplinary research with real impact.
Location: You will be based predominantly at Wickens Engineering Ltd in Worcester, but will also have access to facilities at Aston University in central Birmingham. Some travel to key clients may also be required.
Candidate Profile: You will have a min. 2.1 Bachelor’s level degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering, and ideally a Masters level qualification in a related subject. Industrial experience gained through either a placement role or previous employment in a software development environment would be an advantage.
- Software development in an Agile environment
- Programming in high level programming languages e.g. Java, C, Python. Ideally with some experience of use as a post-processor in CNC programming
- SQL databases & queries
- APIs & event driven/ reactive programming
- 3D CAD/ modelling software (advantageous but not essential as training will be given)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organisational skills to take project ownership, co-ordinate work-streams and achieve agreed objectives.
- Self motivated & confident with good persuasion & negotiation skills
- Fit in with the organisational culture and present a positive image of the company to clients.
- This is a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) funded by Wickens Engineering Limited and Innovate UK.
- It is essential you understand how KTP works and the vital role you will play if you secure this position.