This position requires participation in occasional evening and weekend activities
The Communications Specialist will report to the Associate Director of Development Services in the Office of Development and Alumni Relations (ODAR) to ensure smooth operation and implementation of development services functions. The Development Communications Specialist will work in concert with the NSOE marketing team to assure consistency of look and feel, brand and message In addition, the Communications Specialist with work directly with additional NSOE offices, development staff, volunteers and academic leadership at the Nicholas School as well as with colleagues in Duke University’s Central Development office and Duke’s other schools and units.
Working with the Associate Director of Development Services, assist in the planning and coordination of the yearly communication plan.
Assist in the planning and implementation of stewardship and communication plans for donor and alumni engagement. Duties include identifying project deliverables, developing and managing project timelines and, managing contractor relationships. Manage the planning and implementation of annual fund solicitation communications plans. Work in concert with the marketing team to assure consistency of look and feel, brand and message.
Manage weekly acknowledgment process. Develop, design and prepare custom updates to alumni and donors as needed. Duties include preparing appropriate data for mail merge, preparing letters and annual donor reports and, gathering content for reports. Manage and update building plaques, donor walls and other physical stewardship objects in addition to tracking and maintaining these assets. Manage affiliated stewardship programs.
Manage and utilize iContact e-mail platform, Qualtrics surveys, department website pages, social media accounts and affiliated WordPress sites to promote donor and alumni messaging. Duties include reviewing content and making appropriate updates as needed. Design, edit and finalize images and written content that best communicate project objectives. Collaborate with NSOE marketing and communications on social media strategy as needed.
Identify appropriate content for donor and alumni audiences to meet department fundraising and alumni engagement objectives. Duties include working staff to identify communication needs, making recommendation on content and messaging to help achieve goals, source, gather and curate relevant information such as stories and photographs. Curate content on ODAR web pages.
Draft, edit, proof and finalize letters, reports, stewardship materials, promotional materials and other documents as needed. Use interview skills to gather relevant data to draft stories and other content to convey appropriate messaging.
Produce graphics and images. Attend events to gather photographs for promotional materials and manage image bank. Make modification to existing documents. Provide recommendations. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
- Working knowledge and experience using WordPress, email marketing software and HTML. Drupal experience a plus.
- 1-2 years using design applications, especially Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. Photography and videography experience a plus.
- Copywriting and editing experience critical.
- Professional working experience with social media platforms Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn and Instagram content management.
- Ability to coordinate and manage editing across a team of colleagues.
- Required technical skills include proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, as well as a willingness and ability to master Access and SAP-based database tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that reflect ability to write clearly and without error and speak in a professional and articulate manner.
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills that demonstrate ability to set priorities, develop work schedule, and meet deadlines while managing multiple projects and work independently.
- Ability to identify problems and generate possible solutions with the flexibility to adjust to address pressing needs as they develop.
- Ability to think strategically and analytically.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, effectively, and accurately in a fast paced and complex organization.
- Customer service skills that demonstrate the ability to anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of both internal and external clients.
- Strong commitment to team environment with the ability to self-direct and work independently.
- High energy level, enthusiasm, and flexibility are a must.
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Family Level 10
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes.
To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communication and marketing skills normally acquired through a bachelor's degree in a related field.
Work generally requires one year related experience in advertising,marketing, media, promotions or public relations.OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE