Administrative Assistant, Provosts's Office
Perform responsible administrative and secretarial duties of a complex and confidential nature in support of the Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement to relieve others of varied administrative responsibilities and maintain efficiency in organizational operations.
Duties, Responsibilities and Work Performed:
- Represent the Provost’s and Vice Provost’s Offices with a high level of professionalism to faculty, students, officers, trustees, and the public.
- Regularly exercise good judgment concerning appropriate action to respond to requests for information and assistance.
- Provide overall administrative support to the Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement and his/her staff, including but not limited to the Provost’s Office faculty advancement programs and initiatives.
- Serve as liaison between Vice Provost and various university offices, schools, centers, programs, faculty, students, and administrative personnel.
- Manage the financial accounts assigned to the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement.
- Maintain Excel spreadsheets to track commitments and monitor expenses.
- Process R/3 transfers based on annual budget commitments in support of the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs’ efforts.
- Perform account reconciliation on financial accounts.
- Manage travel reimbursement/advance and reconciliation process for assigned individuals, including the Vice Provost and the Vice Provost’s staff.
- Process on-line Accounts Payable (AP) requests, prepare monthly generaland standard journal entries as needed.
- Maintain up-to-date on changes in Duke’s Employee Travel & Reimbursement, Procurement and Accounts Payable offices and systems.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of all online financial systems.
- Sort, screen and prioritize mail, and compose letters and e-mail correspondence as appropriate.
- Determine which correspondence to respond to or which to bring to the Vice Provost’s attention based on content of communication and broad knowledge of departmental programs and activities.
- Control and maintain files of records, reports and correspondence required for reference and efficient operation of the office; ensure maintenance of up-to-date management and procedural manuals, directives and related records.
- Maintain and order office supplies and equipment as necessary.
- Administer complex calendar required for the Vice Provost and his/her staff.
- Coordinate appointments, meetings and meeting agendas, and travel (both domestic and international).
- Coordinate arrangements for meetings, seminars, receptions, and conferences for guests, faculty, and senior level administrators.
- Establish appointments, meetings, and speaking engagements; attend meetings to provide information and serve as a resource person.
- Answer incoming calls and requests for the Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement, screening calls, providing information and serving as a resource person.
- Coordinate meetings of assigned university committees, which includes arranging logistics, preparing meeting materials, taking and drafting minutes, and maintaining an evolving list of agenda items.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Education/Experience: Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through a high school education and two years of post-secondary education AND four years of administrative experience to acquire skills necessary to oversee complex office functions related to office management, communications and budgetary/accounting activities. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Skills: Editing/Proofing Ability to take and draft minutes Accounting/Bookkeeping SAP R/3 and related applications in Duke@Work such as AP, ETR, Buy@Duke Office Procedures Correspondence Microsoft Outlook Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint