Financial Care Counselor, DUH Admissions
Duties and Responsibilities:
Clinical Quality: 50%
- Identifies, admits, schedules, registers and pre-registers patients with accurate patient demographic and financial data.
- Meets or exceeds data quality goals.
- Explains all required registration and billing forms and obtains signatures where applicable.
- Verifies insurance benefits using our electronic insurance verification system and/or contacts payors via website or phone. Assigns the correct coverage on the patient’s account.
- Completes Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire (MSPQ).
- Collects point of service payments. Meets or exceeds collection goals.
- Creates estimates for upcoming services when applicable.
- Arranges payment plans and offers financial assistance when applicable.
- Reconciles daily cash deposit.
- Performs duties necessary to ensure all accounts are processed accurately and efficiently.
Customer Service: 20%
- Greets and provides assistance to our patients and visitors.
- Exhibits the DUHS Values (Excellence, Safety, Integrity, Diversity and Teamwork) at all times while on duty.
- Explains policies and procedures and resolves problems.
- Gathers necessary documentation to support proper handling of inquiries and complaints.
- Explains bills according to PRMO financial assistance policies.
- Resolves claim edits.
- Researches denials and provide feedback.
- Completes a non- covered waiver form for patients considered out of network and receiving. services at a reduced benefit level.
- Completes waiver for non-authorized services.
- Obtains authorizations based on insurance plan contracts and guidelines.
- Documents the billing system according to policy and procedure.
- Enters and updates referrals as required.
Work Culture: 20%
- Assists with departmental coverage as requested.
- Attends monthly staff meetings.
- Attends all required training and seeks continuous learning opportunities.
- Maintains compliance with safety and training requirements.
- Reviews PRMO policies and procedures on the PRMO website to maintain compliance with approved policies and procedures.
- Contributes to an environment of collaboration and teamwork.
Required Qualifications Education:
- Work requires knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles normally required through a high school education, with some postsecondary education preferred.
- Additional training or working knowledge in related business will be considered.
- Two years’ experience working in hospital service access, clinical service access, physician office, or billing and collections, or an Associate's degree in a healthcare related field and one year of experience working with the public, or a Bachelor's degree and one year of experience working with the public are required.
- Degrees,Licensure, and/or Certification: None required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, oral and in writing.
- Ability to analyze data, perform multiple tasks and work independently.
- Must be able to develop and maintain professional, service-oriented working relationships with patients, physicians, co-workers and supervisors.
- Must be able to understand and comply with policies and procedures.
- Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level:
- This position is deemed “essential”.
- Essential staff are expected to report to work during inclement weather.
- This position is responsible for high productivity, generated accurately in accordance with established business processes or regulatory requirements.
- Bedside registration is performed in the Emergency Department and on the inpatient units.
- This position requires long periods of walking, standing and sitting.
- This position requires working knowledge of compliance principles. Job requires the ability to work independently.
- The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.
- Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Duke Entity PRMO
Job Family Level C1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles normally required through a high school education, with some postsecondary education preferred. Additional training or working knowledge of related business.
Two years experience working in hospital service access, clinical service access, physician office or billing and collections. Or, an Associate's degree in a healthcare related field and one year of experience working with the public. Or, a Bachelor's degree and one year of experience working with the public.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications