Posted to the Web 01/25/2019
Posted Job/Salary Grade 023
Employment Type Non-Exempt
Position Type Full Time Position
Schedule 8:00am-5:00pm, variable schedule based on dept.
Position Length Ongoing Position End Date
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Established in 1878, Penn Dental Medicine is among the oldest university-affiliated dental schools in the nation. Penn Dental Medicine (PDM) is on a mission to provide the highest quality clinical and research environment for students while shaping the future of care. Join Penn Dental Medicine to live that mission every day by supporting the research and clinical needs of our patients, students, faculty, staff, and community. With PDM, not only can you maximize your career potential at an Ivy League Institution, but you can make a real difference in the lives of our patients and students. http://www.dental.upenn.edu/
- Penn Orthodontics has been a leader in clinical excellence due to its strong yet diverse faculty, a highly collaborative relationship with the School of Dental Medicine, and its location within an Ivy League university and a city which is world renowned for health care education. The Dental Assistant will be a key team member supporting the 26 month postdoctoral orthodontic program and serve various stakeholders including students, faculty, staff and patients.
- Positively greet patients, support student learning/teaching mission & collaborate effectively with diverse patient, staff, student & faculty groups. Prepare patient for treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating, & draping patient. Support infection control by sterilizing & delivering instruments to treatment area; Accurately & efficiently position instruments for dentist’s access including prompt chair sanitizing, suctioning, passing instruments & supply ordering as needed.
- Accurately utilize axiUm & X-Ray equipment, Provide diagnostic information by exposing & developing radiographic studies including but not limited to pouring, trimming, & polishing study casts. Sanitize chairs, disinfect patient areas, inventory instruments, pull barriers off, & suction mgmt. Maintain dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt & inventory of supplies.
- Support fellow team members through timely customer service, clear communication & accountability on tasks. Prepare orthodontic diagnostic data, digital imaging, digital intraoral & diagnostic photos, change & trim wires, size bands, sterilization, prepare teeth for bracket placement, scanning diagnostic models, and provide clear orthodontic instructions.
- Maintain & enhance professional standards for role through acquisition of PA EFDA license, Orthodontic Assistant Certification, etc. Set-up & breakdown of operators using infection control standards. Help dentist manage dental & medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, crash cart, emergency drug & oxygen supply, & emergency contacts. Maintain patient confidence & protects department by keeping information confidential.
- Treat all fairly & respectfully; Work effectively with others, regardless of their background, position, or status; Respect different values & viewpoints. Work collegially with others, cooperating in both interpersonal & team relationships; Foster enthusiasm & maintain mutual trust, candor & respect. Support the front desk when needed & other duties as assigned.
- Work effectively and consistently with Penn community (e.g., students, faculty, staff), Remain calm in stressful situations; Consistently demonstrate pleasant & respectful disposition that puts people at ease. Ensure operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques as needed.
- Demonstrate competence in four-handed dentistry technique, level of knowledge & proficiency in use of current dental materials, instruments and equipment. Demonstrated ability to follow instructions & work effectively under both direct & indirect supervision. Demonstrate efficiency, timeliness and organization in use of time and effort.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Technical School, Dental Assistant certification, x-ray certification, training or apprenticeship required beyond High School and 3 years to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. EFDA, Certified Orthodontic Assistant certifications preferred. Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent speaking voice; proper grammar, diction, enunciation and tone.
- Excellent listening and organization skills; ability to multi-task.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and written within all levels.
- Ability to work with others in a close manner; teamwork is essential.
- Ability to adapt to change and meet the unexpected needs and demands.
- Must be accountable, dependable, independent, motivated, punctual, reliable and flexible.
- Must exhibit excellent work ethics and maintain honesty and integrity.
- Other duties as assigned. The duties listed above are not all-inclusive.
- Must follow all HIPAA compliance requirements.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.