Senior Research Coordinator/Research Coordinator
Org: ME-Division of Health Policy
Posted to the Web: 01/28/2019
Posted Job/Salary Grade: 025/026
Employment Type : Exempt
Position Type: Full Time
Position Schedule : 8:30 am to 5:30 pm
Position Length: Contingent Upon Funding
Position End Date:
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is the oldest and one of the finest medical schools in the United States. Penn is rich in tradition and heritage and at the same time consistently at the forefront of new developments and innovations in medical education and research. Since its founding in 1765 the School has been a strong presence in the community and prides itself on educating the leaders of tomorrow in patient care, biomedical research, and medical education. http://www.med.upenn.edu/
The Research Coordinator will work under the guidance of Professor Norma Coe in the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy, and Professor Genevieve Kanter in the Division of General Internal Medicine, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. The Research Coordinator will be responsible for assisting Dr. Coe and Dr. Kanter with conducting their research and preparing research results for presentation. Responsibilities will include: conducting literature reviews, maintaining EndNote databases, collecting and compiling data, conducting web searches, creating tables and figures, and assisting with manuscript preparation. The Research Coordinator may work on conducting statistical analyses (contingent on technical skills and background).
The Senior Research Coordinator will act more independently with working on literature reviews, finding sources, and preparing manuscripts for journal submission. The Senior RC will be able to locate data and other information with less assistance and will prepare more accurate datasets. The Senior RC should have prior experience conducting statistical analyses and will be able to play a larger role in driving the research.
- Research Coordinator: Bachelor’s Degree and 1 to 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Senior Research Coordinator: Bachelor’s Degree and 3 to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills. The RC/Senior RC should be resourceful and have strong web search and literature review skills. The RC/Senior RC will work on data entry and assembling data sets, therefore attention to detail is very important. The RC/Senior RC should be independent and self-motivated. Familiarity with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is essential.
- It is preferred that the applicant has familiarity with Tableau or other data visualization software, statistical software such as STATA, SAS, R, or SPSS, and/or bibliographic software such as EndNote. All majors are welcome to apply but the RC/Senior RC will need to be comfortable working with data and should have an interest in health care. This position has two years of funding.
Resume, Writing Sample, and Cover Letter Required.
WRITING SAMPLE REQUIRED:
- The writing sample should be no more than 10 double spaced pages in length or 5 single spaced pages. Please use one inch margins and size 11 or 12 font. Word document or pdf is fine.
- The writing sample should be written only by the candidate. Please do not submit anything with a coauthor.
- The writing sample should be relevant to this position. It is recommended that the candidate submit something from an academic class or from a previous work position or internship. Examples could include (but are not limited to) a literature review section of a paper, an analysis or description of a table or figure, and/or a piece of writing on health care. It is fine to submit part of a paper if the full paper is too long in length.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.