Chemical instrumentation Lab Technician
Location Doha, QA
Department Name Chemistry and Earth Sciences
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students - are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics, Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, Statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. The College also houses three newly established research centers namely the Center for Social Science and Humanities, the Center for Sustainable Development, and the Gulf Studies Center
As members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is a major source of research funding, with individual project funding exceeding 1 million/project (5 million for exceptional projects), along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research-active faculty members winning multiple grants.
Department of Chemistry and Earth Sciences Profile:
The “Department of Chemistry and Earth Sciences” consists of two programs, Chemistry and Geology. The B.Sc. degree program in chemistry is accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC). The department currently is a home of more than 50 staff members (30 full-time faculty members with expertise in all areas of chemistry, 8 teaching assistants, and 14 technicians). We strive to build a generation equipped with knowledge, competence and modern and comprehensive education in chemistry. The department currently has more than 200 students. In addition, it offers courses to various programs in Qatar University including Biology, Environmental Science, Biomedical Sciences, Engineering, Health Sciences, Human Nutrition, Medicine and Pharmacy. The department is facilitated with a wide range of modern instrumentation including ICP-MS, LC-MS, GC-MS, and UV and IR spectrophotometers. The department has been collaborating with both the national and international communities as the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC, UK), the American Chemical Society (ACS, USA), United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in numerous aspects, Fields of collaboration include: organizing symposiums and public lectures and by hosting workshops and symposia together with other international communities. The majority of the faculty members are active in teaching and research and several have been awarded major funding from the Qatar National Research Fund.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Operate standard laboratory Instruments & equipment/devices
- Operate variety of analytical techniques, including ICP-OES, ICP-MS, GC, HPLC, GC-MS-MS.
- Maintain laboratory analytical Instrument & equipment to ensure facile operation and solve/ trouble-shoot technical issues associated with these instruments/equipment. Evidence for maintenance and troubleshooting experience should be provided.
- Perform analysis of different samples including industrial, pharmaceutical, environmental, air, soil and biological samples to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations.
- Conduct research experiments in accordance with laboratory and safety protocols.
- Develop and validate new analytical methods in collaboration with researchers and colleagues.
- Remain up to date with technical knowledge and to take advantage of training and development provided within the scope of the role
- Organizing laboratory inventory (chemicals, instruments, gas cylinders & space) and ensuring that there are adequate stocks of chemicals, reagents and consumables necessary for the Department work.
- Prepare specimens and samples for analysis;
- Assist with student project courses and interact with Faculty and Staff of the department on specific research projects.
- Adhere to all laboratory health, safety and environmental guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Any other assignments as directed by HoD.
- B.Sc./ M.Sc. in his/her field of specialization
- Experience as an analytical chemist supporting research teams
- Operation, maintaining, and trouble-shooting laboratory analytical equipment such as ICP-based, and chromatography instruments.
- Have knowledge on how to operate variety of analytical techniques, including ICP-OES, ICP-MS, GC, HPLC, GC-MS-MS.
- Good and demonstrated knowledge of inventory, data base and spreadsheet software.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a laboratory environment
- Updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Non-Academic
End Date of Advertisment 22-Feb-2019