Research Technician in Nephrology
A RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II is sought to support research activities in a stem cell biology and disease modeling lab in Nephrology and Biomedical Engineering. The ideal candidate will be capable of performing tasks to support an interdisciplinary research project in a timely, independent, and organized manner.
Experience in the following areas is desired (percentages reflect anticipated time spent doing these activities):
Research using patient-derived stem cells to study human kidney development and disease mechanisms (40%).
- Duties will include derivation and propagation of human induced pluripotent stem cells.
- Detailed record keeping of experimental procedures.
- Provide assistance in preparing IRB, SCRO, and IACUC protocols and paperwork related to stem cell research.
Research in a biomedical laboratory (40%).
- Proficiency in techniques such as mammalian cell culture, PCR ,rt-qPCR, Western blotting, ELISA, gel electrophoresis, preparation and staining of histological specimens, immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, Experience in following and developing experimental protocols is necessary.
- Use of common laboratory equipment such as gel imager, light microscope, plate reader, lab balance, pipettes, centrifuge, autoclave, incubators. Experience in tracking maintenance and upkeep of lab equipment would be beneficial.
- Adherence to safety and training requirements.
- Organization of laboratory data, inventory, records. Good organizational skills are a must.
- Excellent record keeping (lab notebook). Experience with electronic lab notebooks would be beneficial but not required.
- Ability to train and supervise other individuals in research techniques.
- Use of common software applications such as MS Word, Excel, Access, GraphPad, PowerPoint,Buy@Duke.
- Basic understanding of biology, molecular biology, chemistry,physiology, and statistics.
Other professional activities related to research (20%):
- The ideal candidate will be experienced and comfortable working interdisciplinary teams and possess clear communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Scientific writing and communication. There will be regularly-occurring meetings with PI and lab group to review raw data. Applicant may be asked to present data locally or at larger research meetings.
- Attend and participate in relevant scientific conferences on campus.
- The ability to critically review scientific literature will be needed.
- Track record of successful participation in multiple, scientific programs and projects. Effective time management skills are a must.
- Other general areas to include but not limited to demonstrating integrity in research, possessing a willingness to learn new skills and techniques, and having scientific curiosity and enthusiasm for biomedical research.
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Family Level 08
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes.
To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other science related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE