Classified Title: Research Specialist
Working Title: Research Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $15.96 - $24.03/ Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a to 4:30 pm / 40 hrs per wk
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10003182-SOM Sur Transplant Surgery
Personnel area: School of Medicine
A laboratory in the Johns Hopkins Transplantation Division is seeking an experienced Research Specialist. The Research Specialist will work under the general supervision of a faculty investigator. Participation in research conferences and the opportunity to perform own experiments within the context of laboratory projects are encouraged. There is the potential for an independent project, as well as for authorship, and the lab has a history of including students and laboratory staff on abstracts and publications.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Independently perform biochemical and molecular assays on cultures and tissue samples from human and animals, and troubleshoot cultures using scientific knowledge and research experience.
- Run lab tests and complete measurements on assigned projects.
- Prepare and maintain tissue cultures, as well as, cell lines (includes monitoring incubators, biological hoods, etc.).
- Identify and resolve problems involved in research assays.
- Collaborate with, and understand the role of, senior lab members and accept constructive guidance.
- Apply problem solving skills based on an understanding of the research and experience, and progressively develop skill base and knowledge of lab research and relevant assays.
- Train users in standard equipment operation and routine lab techniques and procedures.
- Set-up experiments based on defined standards.
- Participate in research laboratory meetings.
- Contribute to and assist in preparation of manuscripts and abstracts.
- Train and mentor students.
- Collect project data.
- Sustain an orderly laboratory workspace; perform related laboratory maintenance, monitor inventory of supplies, clean equipment, and place lab orders.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or related field.
- One (1) year laboratory experience performing relevant techniques.
- Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. *
- Experience in molecular biology and immunology lab skills (i.e. cDNA library construction, flow cytometry)
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information