Assistant Vice President, Duke Primary Care, Urgent Care
At Duke Primary Care we are “Caring for Our Patients, Their Loved Ones and Each Other.” We are looking for a dedicated and collaborative Assistant VP for Duke Primary Care’s Urgent Care Service Line (Assistant VP DPC, UC) to join our growing network of over 35 practice sites across the greater Raleigh/Durham area. In joining Duke Primary Care, you’ll be part of an organization in which you can thrive and take pride in the value you will bring to the mission. We also provide a superior environment for our patients, constantly undertaking quality improvement initiatives that have resulted in superior quality metrics.
The Assistant VP DPC, UC is responsible for strategic development and oversight for the delivery of high quality and cost-effective services through multiple urgent care sites in the Duke Primary Care network. There are currently nine UC locations. Additionally, this position has responsibility for the development and oversight of the urgent care network, financial management, billing and information systems, and human resources. The Assistant VP DPC, UC will exercise leadership and management responsibility for all functions of urgent care practice management, building the operational infrastructure to ensure efficient services that support current business and projected growth, meet the strategic priorities of Duke Primary Care, and the needs of patients, physicians, the public, and staff. Specific areas of responsibility may include:
- Urgent Care Service Line
- Strategic Growth
- New Site Development
- Provider learner/trainee programs
The Assistant VP DPC, UC will provide leadership in the conception, planning, and development of strategic goals and objectives for the Duke Primary Care UC service line . This requires collaboration with the medical, nursing, and administrative leadership of DPC and Duke University Health System administration to develop and implement well-balanced programs designed to ensure that DPC is the community face of DUHS, providing a gateway to the Health System and is the urgent care provider of choice.
- Work with leadership teams throughout the network, serving as a resource to deliver on the strategic priorities of DUHS and Duke Primary Care, emphasizing objectives in patient experience, quality, work environment, performance improvement, and financial stewardship.
- Using Lean management tools and principles, analyze and utilize information to develop and implement management decisions.
- In general, coordinate the delivery of urgent care services in conjunction with the Chief Medical Officer, Chief Operating Officer and the ACNO, among others.
- Develop and foster effective collaboration between assigned practices and other affiliated services to ensure an integrated approach to providing services, and fulfilling our clinical, research and educational goals and objectives.
- Display an ability to work effectively within the health system’s decision making and organizational structures.
- Lead teams in performance improvement to achieve BSC metrics and strategic and operating priorities.
- Lead leadership in the development of standard work and lean management systems for continuous improvement.
- Maintain liaison with all levels of administration, physicians and outside organizations to coordinate Duke Primary Care business, accomplish directives and facilitate the resolution of problems.
- Communicate key information to practice leadership teams concerning managed care, marketplace needs, the competitive environment, cost management, and customer-focused programs and services.
- Ensure a safe, supportive and inclusive environment for patients, loved ones, staff and providers.
Network Development and Expansion
- Lead and support key committees involved in Urgent Care expansion and management. Develop new business strategies to enhance market share and improve overall performance.
- Foster collaborative relationships with other Health System service line leadership to ensure effective partnerships are formed which will facilitate the development of a comprehensive and geographically dispersed integrated health care system.
- Manage the recruitment and onboarding of providers (physicians and APPs) to ensure the network's ability to meet strategic growth targets.
- Represent these service areas to the external market, as well as internally through the application of community relations and marketing activities.
Budgeting and Financial Management
- Coordinate the determination of fiscal requirements of assigned departments and review budgetary recommendations (capital and operating).
- Ensure that budgeted funds and expenditures are monitored, verified, and reconciled.
- Oversee the development of volume and operational budgets including the analysis of expenses and monthly reports, and the creation of an annual budget.
- Create and communicate budget reports.
Human Capital Management
- Develop leaders and staff in lean management principles and professional development.
- Collaborate with CHRO and ACNO in succession planning and strategic workforce development.
- Ensure consistent and accurate interpretation and application of human resource policies and procedures.
- Interpret and administer policies about the recruitment and retention of employees and providers.
- Oversee the management of various personnel issues.
- Ensure the development, implementation and compliance with applicable DUHS policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Analyze Trends
- Personnel Practices
- Office Procedures
- PC Word Processing
- Software PC
- Spreadsheet Software
Duke Entity DUKE PRIMARY CARE
Job Family Level I2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in health care administration, business administration or a closely related field; Master's degree in health care administration, business administration or a closely related field strongly preferred.
Seven years of ambulatory or physician network management experience, with at least five years at the administrative leadership level.