Director in the Artificial Intelligence Center
Director in the Artificial Intelligence Center
DEPARTMENT Artificial Intelligence Center
SCHOOL Prince Mohammad bin Fahd University
REPORTS TO Vice Rector for Graduate Studies, Research, and Accreditation
PMU is initiating a search for the Director of the Artificial Intelligence Center (AIC). The Director will be expected to create the vision for the center and lead it to international prominence in several areas of research, real-world applications, work-force preparation, and job creation in intelligent systems. The center will be housed centrally in the University, and the Director will have significant input into the design and function of the space.
The Director will develop, implement and administer the vision, strategy, and goals of the various research and training programs within the Artificial Intelligence Center. The role of this position is to oversee the AI Center in strategic development, long-range planning, partnership development, and fundraising through sponsored projects, corporate partnerships, and philanthropy.
The appointee will ideally be a respected scholar, with the energy, resilience and vision to take on leadership of the Center and engage meaningfully with both internal and external stakeholders. She/he will display outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to drive development of staff and further strengthening of the Center’s capability across research, training, and especially engagement with industry and the community.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED)
Applicants should have earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science (Artificial Intelligent) or a related discipline in all fields of Computer Science that complements and augments existing expertise in the focus areas of PMU’s strategic plan with more than 10 years academic experience in reputed university. Examples of research areas include, but are not limited to, cyber security, machine learning, computer vision, data analytics, programming languages, and bioinformatics.
The applicant must be a Full Professor. Successful applicants are expected to develop a strong externally funded, globally recognized research program. They should also possess a passion for and be committed to excellence in both graduate and undergraduate education in a highly interdisciplinary, collaborative, diverse, innovative, and entrepreneurial culture at PMU.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead strategic planning and analysis for complex functions or programs with significant business, regulatory and/or technical challenges requiring subject matter expertise.
- May provide development of initiative or function from initial concept to implementation.
- Manage the administration and evaluation of initiatives or functions.
- Oversee the interpretation, implementation and compliance with policies and regulations.
- Recommend actions and/or resolve complex issues that often span organizational boundaries.
- Represent the center or function at the university level and/or to external/internal stakeholders and constituencies.
- Develop and manage outreach strategy that includes relationship development, communications, and compliance.
- Oversee or supervise staff in the development and implementation of initiatives or functions.
- May develop and/or oversee budgets; manage finances including monitoring, analyzing, forecasting, and reporting.
- Planning and leading small-group mentoring session with AIC and senior AI researchers and other participants.
- Conduct convergent, team-oriented, high impact research, with a substantial portfolio of competitive and center- scale research funds from external sponsors.
- Engage with key industries/services in the region and foster an entrepreneurial ecosystem with joint projects, technology transfer, and startup formation.
- Advance AI education and training programs across the University and the province.
- Position the Center for national prominence in niche areas within the stipulated time period.
- Lead multidisciplinary project teams.
- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Interpersonal Skills: Ability to work in a highly diverse and multicultural environment internally and externally.
- Ability & readiness to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's policies & procedures manual.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED)
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to influence and motivate constituencies which could span multiple organizational boundaries.
- Demonstrated excellent planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound business decisions using good business judgment and innovative and creative problem-solving.
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial, organizational and staff resources.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to cultivate professional and business partnerships.
- Relevant subject matter expertise.
- Experience managing research projects or research laboratories.
- Experience with financial management and fundraising.
- Experience developing and writing grant application.
- Comfort with supervising others, researcher & staff.
- Enthusiasm, responsibility, and team-building skills.
- Ability to manage both time and budgets effectively.
- Ability to work under pressure.
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
PMU offers an income tax-free compensation package, commensurate with rank and experience, including 12-month salary, PMU accommodation, annual vacation, and annual round-trip airfare to the home country, medical insurance and end of contract benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Application to this position require a letter of interest, curriculum vita (include a recent photo; state citizenship; and links to Google Scholar & Scopus and LinkedIn profile), unofficial copy of Ph.D. Diploma, statement of research and teaching interests and a portfolio (no more than 20 pages long) that includes representative professional work depicting evidence of research, teaching activities; a narrative of administrative and leadership philosophy including a statement of past and proposed efforts to enhance diversity as well as the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of at least three professional references who may be contacted, with permission of the candidate, following initial evaluations by the search committee
Positions advertised on our job website and can be closed at the discretion of the department at any time. This position is open until filled. This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled.
- Please mention the name of the source/website where you have seen this advertisement
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more inquiries about this position, please contact the following: (please mention the name of the source/website where you have seen this advertisement)