Lecturer in Chemistry
Department Name Chemistry and Earth Sciences Department
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses twelve departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature &Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work,International Affairs, Mass Communication, Psychology, Policy, Planning &Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health, Biomedical Sciences, Material Science, Sports Science, and Human Nutrition. The College also houses five Master Programs, which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS launched a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also it has recently established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center. The College started the PhD in Gulf Studies, a Master in Applied Statistics, and a Master in Public Health in Fall 2015.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Chemistry and Earth Sciences of Qatar University invites applications for a Lecturer position with specialty in the area of analytical chemistry. The successful applicants will have completed a Ph. D. in Chemistry from a recognized university. Responsibilities will involve teaching laboratory courses in general chemistry and analytical chemistry at all levels. Applicants with expertise in any of the areas in analytical chemistry will be considered. Teaching experience at the undergraduate level in analytical chemistry and instrumental methods will be an asset.
All courses in the department are taught in English. The successful candidate must be an excellent communicator, and must have experience in the development of modern teaching methods involving electronic media and methodologies. The position is for three (3) years, renewable based on performance, with a one year probationary period.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate courses in chemistry as assigned by the Department Head.
- Contribute to departmental committees and administration.
- Participate in team teaching of the chemistry theory and laboratory courses.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry from a recognized university.
- Good publication record.
- Teaching experience in both theory and laboratory classes at the undergraduate level, including the use of electronic media and methodologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Arabic.
All QU faculty members must demonstrate effectiveness in the following categories: research; teaching; academic advising and program development; scholarly, professional and/or creative activities; and institutional development and/or community service.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.