Online Instructor,Computer Science
Classified Title: CTY DE Instructor
Working Title: CTY Online Instructor - Computer Science
Starting Salary Range: $21.00 - $30.00 per hour
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: 10000113-DE Math Science Computer Science
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide today’s brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers. Want to join our team? We are looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTY’s diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve.
The instructor supports academically talented students enrolled in Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth (CTY) online computer science courses.
NOTE: This position is not benefits eligible.
Multiple positions available.
- Develop and teach lessons within curriculum defined by CTY. Lectures are not required.
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact independently with students using distance education technologies, primarily Moodle, Adobe Connect, Skype and e-mail.
- Provide timely feedback to students and their parents on coursework and progress.
- Communicate with students, parents, IT, program administrators and supervisor to resolve any course related issues.
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in computer science or related field with 2 years teaching, tutoring experience.
- Experience teaching one or more programming languages / technologies preferred.
- Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Additional (graduate) education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula.
- JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
- Two years teaching or tutorial experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
Internal and External Contacts Required as Part of the job:
- Collaborative relationships with the Senior Program Manager, supervisors, and CTYOnline administrators and staff.
- Frequent contact with students, schools, and parents via telephone, email, and web-based virtual meeting room software.
Physical Requirements for the Job:
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and face to face with internal and external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing during events and presentations may be required.
Computer or other Special Needs for the Position:
- Must have a computer with broadband Internet access.
- Familiarity with Online education technologies a plus, such as Moodle, Adobe Connect and Skype.
- Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
- Candidate must be authorized to work in the US and must live in the US or another area in which JHU/CTY has a business entity
- The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
In addition to your resume, please Include a cover letter with your application
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information