Senior Technical Support Analyst
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OG
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mondays - Fridays; 8:30am - 5;00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 24-MD:JH at Greenspring Station
Department name: 10000023-IT@JH Client Technology Solutions
Personnel area: University Administration
General Position Summary:
This position is responsible for supporting and maintaining client endpoints (PC, Laptops / Desktops, Apple devices, Tablets, Mobile devices, printers and other peripherals). Perform PC, peripheral equipment, and software installations. Provide premier hands on technical assistance and effectively troubleshoot problems based on learned knowledge. Assist customers who are experiencing procedural or operational difficulty with the use of technology applications, products, and services. Investigate and resolve computer software and hardware problems. This includes assistance via telephone, email, fax, walk-up, or assigned tickets. May assist and/or setup classroom/computer labs computing needs. Manage the recording, prioritization, and tracking of customer calls, and resolve Level 1 and Level 2 issues directly.
Perform tasks with regular process updates. The candidate selected would need to be able to work well with others throughout the organization in order to navigate through the complexities of the environment to ensure (SLA) service levels are met. Provide support for walk-up customers (staff, faculty, and students) and/or departmental customers. Device management complexity is typically advanced. Demonstrated ability to provide good customer service. Tasks range from simple to complex in nature (i.e., working with multiple devices or device types, or complex software, or handling multiple customers). Provide guidance and direction for less experienced staff.
The Candidate brought into this position will provide direct support for Clinical and administrative staff. The incumbent will use a suite of management tools (SCCM, AD, Airwatch, Bomgar, Intune and others) tickets are assigned using Service Now, and some JIRA. The incumbent is responsible for providing onsite and remote support for approximately 1500 staff members located at Greenspring Station, with some travel to Odenton, Columbia, GBMC and other sites as needed. The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
ANALYSIS and DESIGN
- Review customer software and hardware requirements.
- Analyze workflow of customer environment.
- Make recommendations for workspace design.
- Identify and recommend ways to improve efficiencies.
- Communicate customer service requirements to management in order to evaluate additional service opportunities.
INSTALL, CONFIGURE, MAINTAIN
- Install, configure, and maintain end user devices (PC Workstations, mobile devices, peripheral equipment).
- Install software for walk-up customers.
- Physically fix or repair devices with problems.
- Set up personal devices for staff, faculty, and students who need access to local Hopkins networks.
- Physically lift, unpack, and move electronic equipment.
- May require lifting and moving furniture.
- Provide hands on technical assistance.
- Provide scheduled production reports.
- Create and modify distribution packages to increase productivity of others.
- May plan and coordinate installation of cabling.
- Provide support and troubleshooting for Computer Labs, Administrative PCs and walk in customers (students, faculty, and staff).
- Resolve network printer problems.
- Resolve and troubleshoot workstation, network, and internet access problems.
- Assist students, faculty and staff on the use of installed software applications.
- Assist students, faculty and staff in accessing and configuring e-mail accounts.
- Provide daily reports to management on current issues.
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems (including mobile devices and peripherals) by following documentation and by using appropriate diagnostic tools to provide solutions to customer.
- Act as informational resource on hardware and software questions/issues by serving on Help Desk or support desk.
- Keep current on supported technology to maintain knowledgebase and skills.
- Create call escalation rules.
- Document instructions for using various hardware and software for customers.
- Provide specialized training.
- Create support documentation for the training and development of junior staff members.
- Provide technical support in the use of computing devices, software products and operations by responding to customers as needed.
- Complete requests as assigned by meeting published Service Level Agreements and/or agreed to delivery dates to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Interact with outside vendors.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Knowledge in the assigned IT environments.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Write and communicate clearly and concisely.
- Possess sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
- Advanced knowledge of commonly used software, hardware, and operating systems.
- Ability to repair software, hardware, and operating systems.
- Intermediate knowledge of networking concepts.
- Ability to replace major system parts on a PC.
- Ability to lead a team.
- Two years college course work preferably IT related.
- May be required to maintain manufacturer’s certification.
- Additional experience can be substituted for education.
- Two years related experience including some front line experience.
- Additional education can be substituted for experience.
30 undergraduate degree credits or 18 graduate degree credits = 1 year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college coursework may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information