Perform secretarial duties in support of general medical office activities to relieve medical professional personnel of clerical and administrative details and to maintain an efficient and effective operation.
- Medical Records and Requests - 25%
- Receive requests for return patient records and send them out through email/fax/mail/scan from outside physician offices, from GI group physicians/APPs, patients and other Duke Health System physicians.
- Look up physician and medical record number, add and give to appropriate physician/APP.
- Scan and move records to J drive, to appropriate folder and add new folders as needed; deliver record to Medical Records Department or in future, scan to HIMS as needed or required.
- FedEx records as needed.
- Order outside records
- Receive and print outside medical records in advance of clinic as needed per provider
- Daily Faxes, Orders and Forms – 20%
- Pick up faxes, sort, look up physician and medical record number on Maestro Care, note as needed and put in appropriate physician box.
- After physician or APP reviews record, fax, mail, email or call accordingly.
- FedEx when needed.
- Answer/Screen Telephone Call – 10%
- Respond to routine questions and take/forward messages accordingly.
- Follow-up on patient questions regarding incoming records.
- Follow-up on Maestro In-Basket requests as requested per provider.
- Special Testing/Pathology/Other Requests – 25%
- Request pathology on all patients.
- Fax or email forms, log on spreadsheets and maintain hard copies.
- Email provider when completed.
- Request regular pathology slides to be sent for review or to be compared.
- Deliver pathology to Pathology Department
- Maestro order entry of pathology slides (arrive, lab order entry, etc…)
- Order Foundation One testing per physician or APP; complete appropriate forms for both Duke and outside institutions.
- Manage incoming MRI and Pathology database.
- Request outside MRIs for reading.
- Request, pick-up and mail out MRIs conducted at Duke.
- Process Release of Information
- Assist with patient referrals as needed
- Monthly and Weekend Coverage Calendar – 5%
- Death Certificates – 5%
- Other Duties – 10%
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Family Level 08
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes.
To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires three years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR and equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Gather physician/APPs leave dates
- Create both monthly and weekend coverage calendar for the disease group.
- Make revisions as needed throughout the month.
- Deliver death certificates to physicians for signature.
- Scan and ensure that the death certificate is returned to the appropriate contact person.
- Pick up, sort and deliver mail.
- Process expense reimbursements for providers
- Order office supplies as needed.
- Run errands and respond to urgent requests as needed by providers.
- Cover for disease group Staff Assistant(s) when out on leave.