Campus Police Officer
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $50.00 an hour
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 07-MD:Peabody Institute
Department name: 10000988-Security
Personnel area: Peabody
The General Nature or Purpose of the Job:
Campus Police Officers provide security services to the Peabody campus and off-campus facilities and activities. The Peabody campus consists of 12 buildings in mid-town Baltimore. Responsibilities include uniformed patrols and crime prevention services to protect life and property; offering proactive support of student and staff initiatives; development and maintaining a positive rapport with students, faculty, staff, visitors and members of the surrounding neighborhoods; coordinating and cooperating with various University administrators in the preliminary and follow-up investigation of complaints; reporting criminal offenses and disruptions; enforcing University policies and regulations, state laws and Baltimore City Ordinances; overseeing student monitors; writing reports and keeping records; monitoring electronic surveillance equipment and key access control. Position involves shift work, some overtime, and may include schedule changes as needed to meet security requirements.
- Must be currently employed as a Baltimore Police Department Law Enforcement Officer
- Casual Employment Status (as needed) – 1-2 nights per week
- This position is not benefits eligible
The Primary Duties and Responsibilities of the Job:
- Patrol assigned areas on foot.
- Actively participate in crime prevention and community policing activities.
- Respond to routine and emergency calls for various types of service and take action as appropriate.
- Conduct investigations; maintain confidentiality while writing clear, concise and accurate reports.
- Conduct security inspections of Peabody facilities and areas, reporting conditions as they may be necessary.
- Provide escorts and other general services, including locking and unlocking buildings and rooms.
- Work flexible shifts and any day of the week that includes holidays or weekends to assist with operational and special event assignments.
- Use various computers and other equipment as a routine function of this position.
- Perform other security related services for the faculty, staff, students, and visitors of The Johns Hopkins University as may be necessary.
- Provide general security and customer service/informational services for Peabody’s on campus activities which include numerous special events at the George Peabody Library and numerous evening and weekend events for Peabody concerts and performances.
- HS/GED required.
- Two years’ relevant work experience required.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience to the extent permitted by JHU equivalency formula (JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience.).
- Must be currently employed as a Baltimore Police Department law enforcement officer. Completion of police academy. Knowledge of police department rules and regulations; knowledge of state and local laws.
- Valid Maryland driver’s license required. Must be able to drive.
- Must be able to pass a background clearance.
- Must be able to walk, stand and climb stairs for extended periods of time in order to conduct routine rounds and to patrol buildings and campus.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather for periods of time.
- Professional customer service skills.
Machines and/or Equipment Used on the Job:
- Operate a variety of machines and equipment including automobiles, vans, office equipment, radio, telephone.
- Must qualify with Baton / OC Pepper spray.
- Basic computer usage and Microsoft word.
Degree of Independent Action Performed on the Job:
- Work will be supervised on a daily basis by the on-duty Campus Safety and Security Shift Supervisor or his designee.
Internal and External Contacts Required as Part of the Job:
- Interact with general public, student, staff and faculty, visitors and donors.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information