Ambulatory Care Nurse
GI Resource Nurse, North Duke Street location in Durham, NC
Duke’s Division of Gastroenterology, also known as Duke GI, strives to provide quality care for our patients, focusing on patient satisfaction, optimizing outcomes, ongoing research, and the education and development of clinical staff, faculty and resident physicians.The Division of Gastroenterology is seeking a full time Registered Nurse to join the GI Resource Nurse Team. This position has been developed to manage the Hepatology patient population in order to coordinate care with the Hepatology Providers.This position is based in the GI Resource Nurse North Duke Street location in Durham, NC a non-clinical off site office.This position does not have direct patient contact.
- Provide nursing triage, assessment and education to patients via telephone interactions and secure messaging.Plan, provide and document evidence based professional nursing care utilizing the nursing process, in accordance with provider orders and established GI, DUHS and PDC policies and procedures, under the supervision of the nurse manager and assigned providers. Patient management includes medication management, prior authorizations, care coordination and scheduling.
- Delegate tasks and supervise the activities of unlicensed care providers (schedulers, Medical Assistants and Staff Assistants)
- Provider cross coverage to team members to facilitate patient care.
- Participate in entity level performance improvement activities, work culture events,continuing education and meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Telephone Triage Management
- Electronic Health Record experience (EPIC experience preferred
- Clear communication skills
- Management of multiple priorities
- Typing proficiency of at least 40 words per minute
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES
Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN or Associate's Degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma program. All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (or higher)will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date and to complete the program within five years of their start date.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS/ PREFERENCES
- Telephone Triage Nurse Experience
- Hepatology and Gastroenterology experience
- Urgent Care or ED experience
LICENSURE/ CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Must have current, non-restricted or compact RN license. Licensure in the state of North Carolina will be required within 90days if a compact state RN license. BLS required. Must be able to work under time pressures in a busy office environment. Must be present on site for 8 hour shifts during standard business hours. Must participate in group activities requiring interpersonal skills & cooperation. Must work as late person when scheduled or according to business needs. Must be able to react quickly and immediately respond to emergencies. Must travel between locations on needed basis. Must be able to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands & priorities. Must maintain attention to detail over extended period of time. Must be continually aware of variations in changing situations. Must be able to move throughout office environment throughout day. Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time. Must be able to reach for objects by extending arms.
Duke Entity PRIVATE DIAGNOSTIC CLINICS
Job Family Level E1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN or Associate's Degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma program.All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (orhigher) will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date and to complete the program within five years of their start date.
Twelve months of appropriate clinical experience is required. At a manager's discretion, employees with 6 months of experience who are exceptional performers may be eligible for this level.