Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant, Cardiology
The Advanced Practice Provider, APP (Physician Assistant) provides direct patient care services and performs medical acts as a Physician Assistant, under the supervision of the supervisory physician to patients on the cardiology service. This position will work with cardiology patients and will rotate with all of the cardiology services including general cardiology, EP, heart failure, VAD and the heart transplant teams. The Physician Assistant performs admission, physical exams, collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, coordinates the care and discharge of patients, and provides direct patient care services. The Cardiology APP contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, and provides leadership to the organization
Primary hours will be 14 (fourteen) 12 (twelve) hour day shift a month covering Monday-Sunday (7 days a week) including holidays. Schedule may be changed by administrative or clinical leadership to meet department needs.
Physical and mental requirements:
- Able to clearly articulate scope of practice, and practices within those guidelines as a Physician Assistant in the state of North Carolina and within the Duke University Health System.
- Able to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively to solve complex problems
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership, and others.
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, perform health assessments, treatment, and follow-up.
- Able to use fine motor skills
- Able to record activities, document assessments & interventions; prepare reports and presentations;
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to provide leadership in clinical area of expertise and in meeting organizational goals
- Able to navigate the Hospital and DUHS to provide clinical expertise to specific patient populations
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking with the ability to move or lift at least fifty pounds
- Able to remain focused and organized
- Able to work collaboratively with all levels of personnel
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Family Level H1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program, with a Master's degree in Nursing -OR- graduation from a Physician Assistant program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessor agencies.
- For NP's strongly prefer candidate with at least one year of experience as a NP in cardiology experience, but willing to consider a new graduate with 3 years of clinical nursing experience.
- For PA's strongly prefer candidate with at least one year of experience as a PA in cardiology experience, but willing to consider a new graduate.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- NP's must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. National certification as a NP required prior to or within 6 months of employment.
- PA's must be licensed in the state of North Carolina, and be certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.