General Description of the Job Class
Perform a variety of the technical procedures involved in the procurement, processing and evaluation of patient specimens for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized procedures.
- Pepare and initiate special tests and procedures including, but not limited to, cytogenetics, general laboratory, Point-of-Care Testing, urinalysis without microscope, phlebotomy, cyto preparatory, and specimen management.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary for problem recognition and initiation of the resolution and, if necessary, escalation to the next level. Obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation.
- Utilize standard equipment to maintain positive patient identification through the maintenance of all clinical laboratory records, register/accession patients/specimens and perform order entry as required.
- Perform various quality control, safety, and infection control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Receive and process specimens as required by respective laboratory area procedures and protocols.
- Participate in the distribution of specimens, supplies and reports to the appropriate laboratory staff; perform messenger/courier activities as required.
- Maintain inventory of supplies; stock supplies on carts and hand trays; wash glassware.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software.
- Assist with maintenance of specimens and/or slides.
- Perform routine maintenance as required by laboratory procedures.
- Assist with word processing, miscellaneous office tasks and maintaining office records.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic phlebotomy and specimen processing techniques.
- Knowledge of medical terms preferred
- Basic computer skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Effective professional communication skills to interact with patients/ customers.
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Family Level B2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes.
To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
High School diploma or GED. For assignment to phlebotomy, completion of a structured phlebotomy training course and clinical rotation recommended.
Alternatively, an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience. One year previous clinical lab experience preferred.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
For assignment to Phlebotomy Services, certification as a Phlebotomist by a nationally recognized agency/board* is recommended. Certification of Basic Life Support preferred.National Healthcare Association (NHA) --Clinical Laboratory Phlebotomy Examination (CLPlb), American Society of Clinical Pathologists –Phlebotomy Technician Examination [PBT(ASCP)], International Academy of Phlebotomy Sciences (IAPS), National Phlebotomy Association (NPA),American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT).