Lecturer in Psychology
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
The Department of Psychology at Harvard University invites applications for part-time lecturers for the upcoming 2019-2020 academic year. We are particularly interested in candidates who could teach empirically-based advanced undergraduate courses in social psychology and abnormal psychology/clinical science, but will also consider applications from candidates with teaching interests in developmental psychology and cognitive psychology/neuroscience. We are also searching for candidates who can teach undergraduate research methods. In addition to offering courses, lecturers may be asked to direct and evaluate senior theses and to advise students on research and career interests.
Lecturer positions are for one semester or one year, with the possibility of renewal for up to a total of six semesters. Appointments are dependent upon faculty vacancies. Appointments may be made at varying percentages of time (one course equals 25% time for the year).
No full-time positions are anticipated for the next academic year.
Lecturers appointed to a half-time position may be eligible for Harvard benefits.
Candidates are required to have a Ph.D. or an equivalent terminal degree in Psychology or very closely related field (e.g. Cognitive Science, Statistics, EdD in Human Development) by the expected start date.
Candidates must have a strong teaching and research background.
- A cover letter describing your background and courses you would be interested in teaching
- Statement of teaching interests, including teaching philosophy, goals, methods, and prior experience
- Evidence of your teaching experience and success, including quantitative and qualitative teaching evaluations
- Course syllabi or course descriptions
- At least three letters of recommendation
- Applicable only for those candidates who have not yet received the Ph.D.: A letter from your advisor confirming that you will receive your Ph.D. by the expected start date
Optional materials include:
- Statement of research interests
- Complete applications, including letters of reference, must be submitted by March 15, 2019. Applications submitted after this deadline will only be considered if positions remain open after an initial round.
Katherine Powers, PhD
Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Psychology
220 William James Hall
33 Kirkland Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.