Lecturer of Rhetoric and Composition
Department Name English Literature and Linguistics
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conducts research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students - are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics, Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, Statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. The College also houses three newly established research centers namely the Center for Social Science and Humanities, the Center for Sustainable Development, and the Gulf Studies Center
As members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is a major source of research funding, with individual project funding exceeding 1 million USD per project (5 million for exceptional projects), along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest university in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research-active faculty members winning multiple grants.
The Department of English Literature and Linguistics invites applications for a Lecturer of Rhetoric and Composition. The candidate must have a Masters in Rhetoric and Composition at the time of employment and will be expected to teach introductory writing and advanced reading comprehension courses.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach courses in the area of expertise
- Contribute to various committees at the departmental level
- Lecturers in the university typically have a 6:6 teaching load
- Serve as student advisor
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
- Masters in Rhetoric and Composition
- Teaching experience at tertiary level
- Familiar with educational technologies used in higher education
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Contact details of three referees (postal and email addresses, telephone numbers)
- Academic transcript of the highest qualification
- Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the application
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Academic
End Date of Advertisement 20-Feb-2019