Assistant Director, Marketing
Stanford Recreation and Wellness is committed to provide diverse recreational opportunities that inspire health and well-being for our community. We foster an important and integral part of the Stanford experience while working with students, faculty, staff, administrators, and community partners to create a campus environment in which everyone can flourish physically, personally, and intellectually. Our offerings, programs, and courses complement each other by meeting the needs of our community and contribute to the development of such intangible attributes such as leadership, passion for working cooperatively toward a goal, and increase overall physical well-being.
The Stanford University Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (DAPER) is accepting applications for an Assistant Director of Marketing. Reporting to the Associate Director of Marketing and Programs, this position will support all efforts to build brand affinity for Stanford Recreation and Wellness’ programs, increase participation, generate revenue, and developing marketing initiatives, enabling programs, services, and events, while driving cross-functional collaboration across the department.
As Assistant Director of Marketing, you are a progressive influencer, balance strategic big-thinking with day-to-day executional skills. You like the challenge of operationalizing processes and bring that nuanced thinking to each project you take on. Stewarding relationships, you’ll work closely with DAPER divisions and teams. At its core, marketing at Recreation and Wellness starts with their quality offerings and ends with the user/Stanford affiliates, bringing both together in conventional ways. Your job is to demonstrate how our department can encourage and facilitate all participants/Stanford affiliates to realize opportunities for physical fitness, health and well-being.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Work across several aspects of marketing from branding and positioning to targeted outreach and strategy, campaigns, advocacy, events and communication.
- Create conceptually strong visual designs and graphics across marketing and communication touch points. Design production ready brand assets such as logos, icons, and graphics.
- Guide internal and external experience, design and production.
- Partner with program stakeholders to create and execute innovative strategies and marketing plans that drive awareness, engagement and program/services adoption.
- Leverage marketing insights to better understand Stanford students, faculty, and staff and represent the voice of the user.
- Partner collaboratively with other marketing teams and cross-functional groups to align marketing campaign strategies across key channels, ensuring content adheres to a consistent voice and brand guidelines, and execute department newsletter.
- Oversee internal account operations and brand integrity across all relevant social media platforms and develop high quality materials for them.
- Develop and foster relationships with production partners to deliver great work (brochures, pamphlets) that is on time and on budget.
- Identify optimization opportunities for improving performance and number of registrants.
- Build and manage relationships with University departments, key clients, and agency partners (media, creative, marketing partners, etc.).
- Serve as internal marketing consultant. Identify, create, implement, and educate colleagues on solutions and best practices.
- Inform decisions regarding strategic marketing direction, product segmentation and customer targeting.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience; or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to edit high-level correspondence.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Strong client service orientation and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and professionalism to interact with a wide range of people at different levels of an organization.
- Proven ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple priorities, with competing deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative software: Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, InDesign, Final Cut Pro
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS. Strong user experience/user interface design experience.
- Ability to work independently to meet expected deadlines and schedules.
- Knowledge of marketing across channels including digital and print.
- Creative problem solver.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, speaking.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, writing by hand.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork.
Occasionally work evenings and weekends.
Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for insuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ride sharing incentives, discounts and more!