Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The Digital Solutions Department of the Stanford GSB seeks an experienced and highly skilled Associate Director, DevOps and Infrastructure to lead a team in a complex technology environment and evangelize the DevOps methodology through effective communication and collaboration with cross functional teams. This role will require strong knowledge of CI/CD technology, infrastructure, integration, automation and application support as well as experience mentoring team members and growing a DevOps practice. You will work closely with senior management, developers, DevOps engineers, and project teams across the school while remaining aligned with strategy, commitments, and goals of the department. In this role, you will engage with the operations behind a world class academic institution, contributing your experience and skills to influence and evolve the workplace and culture. Our team supports faculty, graduate students, and staff with an expectation to deliver high quality products and services that meet their needs within appropriate timelines and budgets.
Conduct day-to-day management of the DevOps function within the Digital Solutions Department. Provide technical and managerial guidance to staff and bring highly specialized knowledge and expertise to the role. Provide strategic oversight of the DevOps function with a focus on infrastructure and systems management. If you are an experienced leader of DevOps/Infrastructure, ready to take-on new challenges and impact the future of technology in higher education, this is a position for you.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Lead and manage all business and technical activities undertaken by staff in the group (e.g. developing, installing, configuring, and maintaining servers, systems, and software).
- Exercise full management responsibility for the DevOps group, including recruiting, hiring, training, developing, evaluating, and setting priorities.
- Provide strategic planning for own work group and oversee the execution of strategic initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Best-in class service engineering capabilities in the DevOps team.
- The scaling of operations to future business needs.
- An architectural platform which drives a data-driven culture in respect to engineering productivity and outcomes.
- The delivery of high performance and scalable cloud services.
- Ensure work completion within schedule, budgetary, and design constraints; make decisions about analysis, design, and testing; solve complex technical problems; provide alternative methods for achieving goals when necessary.
- Create procedures and guidelines to ensure compliance with university policy and federal and state regulations. Example(s):
- Maintain SLA commitments for security requirements as defined by Digital Solutions Security Group and Stanford’s central security group (ISO). Work with members from both teams to understand and communicate security-related activities and programs to end users.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to leverage the university/school's investments in information technology.
- Work with the engineering team to influence software architecture and development decisions that meet operational needs. Influence product and cloud engineering to improve the manageability, quality, and support ability of production systems and services.
- Manage the collaboration with corresponding cross functional teams for issues/requests requiring code changes or support with appropriate priority.
- Establish a culture of high performance, transparency and continuous improvement, including but not limited to:
- Develop and maintain platform services and tooling to provide event logging, metrics monitoring, continuous improvement, and other backend services.
- Identify opportunities for automation and optimization and build it into the deployment cycle to improve quality, productivity and efficiency.
- Perform quality reviews, manage operational risks, and operational issues.
- Develop, track and report on KPIs related to maintenance, product development, platform performance and platform stability.
- Monitor technology trends and evaluate emerging technologies for adoption and implementation.
- Develop and manage budgets for projects or work groups.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and five years of relevant experience or combination of education and experience.
- Deep understanding of technology industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices.
- Comprehensive and expert knowledge of the interactive software development process.
- Experience owning production operations for Saas products.
- Self-directed manager who maintains focus on goals without intensive oversight.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills required.
- Attention to detail, schedule awareness, and ability to drive organization to healthy and timely results.
- Must be able to inspire and maintain a positive atmosphere of innovation and success across a diverse team of engineers.
- Experienced storyteller with a passion for creating and delivering innovative communication approaches to engineering audiences.
- Strong customer relationship skills, consensus building skills, and ability to establish effective working relationships in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff.
- Working ability to set project schedules, deliverables, and manage budgets.
- Deep understanding of web based technologies (Python, Drupal, .NET).
- Deep understanding of SQL database technologies.
- Deep understanding of Linux platform, Apache, and Tomcat.
- Experience with Windows and IIS.
- Experience managing technical network.
- Experience building, administering, troubleshooting, deploying, and configuring cloud infrastructure DevOps platforms within Cloud (AWS, Google) environments is a plus.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and care giving support.
A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ride sharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.