Staff Assistant, Alumni Relations
The Staff Assistant, Alumni Relations collaborates on projects and performs administrative functions in support of the Alumni Relations team at the Fuqua School of Business. The Staff Assistant reports to the Director of Alumni Relations and collaborates closely with the Director of Advancement Services and other members of the Development and Alumni Relations department.
Job Duties Data Management Support (30%)
- Support alumni database management by reviewing information provided by alumni, staff, and faculty to update biographical information, track alumni volunteer interests, and record alumni engagement, including tracking alumni participation in events and volunteer work.
- Proactively communicate with alumni to ask for updated contact information.
- Manage data reconciliation for alumni events including cleaning data, tracking attendance, and consolidating records in event software (Cvent).
- Approve membership for school’s LinkedIn groups and communicate with constituents interested in joining the group.
Communications and event support (30%)
- Support student and alumni events which may include faculty presentations, receptions, alumni reunions, and other functions both at Fuqua and off site. Logistics may include finding and reserving venues, reserving catering, and parking reservations, coordinating event RSVP process, and compiling event materials.
- Coordinate the school’s monthly alumni birthday card program and support the distribution of celebratory, congratulatory, and sympathy letters and/or gifts.
- Assist with alumni communication initiatives including mailings, electronic publications, web site, alumni events calendar, and social media projects.
Alumni Relations support (20%)
- Provide timely responses to requests for information from alumni, students, faculty, or staff.
- Conduct research as needed for alumni-related project work.
Administrative Support (20%)
- Provide general office and meeting support.
- Process expense reports and perform accounting reconciliation.
- Serve as backup to other members of the administrative team as necessary.
- Two years of postsecondary education required; bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel) and willingness and ability to master a proprietary SAP-based database tool.
- Successful project management experience, including meeting numerous deadlines and objectives and managing multiple concurrent projects with limited resources.
- Experience doing research using the internet and social media.
- Superb organizational skills.
- Detail orientation, flexibility, and ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Refined written and oral communication and customer service skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and experience handling confidential information.
- Strong work ethic in a fast-paced, results-oriented team environment.
- Creativity, adaptability, diplomatic skills and sense of humor.
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Family Level 08
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes.
To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires three years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR and equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.